UI suggestion!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by onesparxy, September 11, 2013.

1. onesparxy

onesparxy Member

Ok so ive been thinking that since the game is going to be near impossible to micro-manage ive had a idea to help when multi planet is introduced.

You should be able to put a beacon down invisble to everyone except you that basically does this
    If you zoom out it dosn't get rid of it so you can see where your bases are from a big zoom out for example
    if you put the beacon down there should be 10 beacons that you can put down called that has a set name.
    For example

Base Alpha
    Base Beta
    Base Charlie
    Asteroid Alpha
    Asteroid Beta
    Asteroid Charlie

And you can alter the beacons X Y Z Axis so if anything of yours get's attacked within that area some Narrator/Voice over thingy says

Base Beta is currently being attacked same with all the other things instead of what most other games do which is base under attack which is usually pointless since apperantly you attacking a enemy and getting your unit killed is "Your base is under attack".

Pro's:
    • Easy to find where your base is being attacked making micro management of system much easier
    • Easily alterable
    • Not very complex basically all it is a slider with X Z Y axis on it and a name choice can't have more then 1 of the same base to avoid confusion
    Con's
    • Umm no custom name so you could be a derp and forget which base is which so maybe when your zoomed out so you can see the whole solar system the beacon name flashes
    • Could get annoying if the women keeps repeating it so maybe there is a 20 second gap between her saying it so it isn't constantly repeated
    • Flashing might be annoying but could be coded so it goes away after 15 seconds
  2. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Trying to keep pure suggestion threads in General when possible. Thanks!
  3. onesparxy

onesparxy Member

Sorry didn't realise it had been suggested ill check

Edit:You got a link to the thread if this is a duplicate
  4. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

It's not that it's duplicate. When we made the alpha forum, I specifically requested pure suggestion threads not go in there. It's for bug discussion and alpha related issues, or at least ostensibly so. :)
  5. onesparxy

onesparxy Member

Whoops
  6. pantsburgh

pantsburgh Active Member

So yeah, I've been saying from the beginning that a powerful beacon/hotspot/ping system will be necessary not only for managing all your own stuff, but also cooperating with teammates. If your teammates can see your beacons then you can all know what each other are talking about.

I think I'd rather see the unit under attack notification tied into whatever solution is found for the mini-map/mini-planet window. The audio cue doesn't even need the planet name as long as the visual cue handled by the mini-map gives me that info - eg: the alert sound goes off, the mini-map border flashes red and has a red ping on it, then I just click on that map and it instazooms me to that planet and click location.
  7. GalacticCow

GalacticCow Active Member

How about just selecting units and buildings as a group to name them. When any of them are attacked, in addition to the "beep beep", there's a little notification that says "[custom name] is under attack!" Possibly with more information, like how many of each building has been destroyed, approximated enemy force size and info, etc. I can imagine a UI mod like this too, but it would be nice to see something like that in the main game.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I like the base idea just please god no text to speech.

In the future we may finally figure out how to make it sound half-decent (in more than just english!) but as of today; it's auditory torture.
    Last edited: September 14, 2013
  9. onesparxy

onesparxy Member

Yes i was kind of open to opinions and this one would be good
  10. frenky29a

frenky29a New Member

May be this is a little bit out of original scope, but belongs to UI.

I would appreciate less icons after zoom out even for less control (and fluent reveal). Some option in menu or hot-key like "Object grouping". A lot of gameplays from mid to late-game are controlled from 'orbit view'. I would like to see more on surface. Now I see like 200 pictograms, they are almost useless. It is enough to have 20. I don't know how to code it, but it would be nice to have. It is ok for me to have one icon for army 1, one icon for army 2, one icon for energy plant field and may be no icon for 2-3 units/buildings forgotten somewhere.
    Last edited: September 14, 2013