Realm Pax Video

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by thekiller666, August 28, 2013.

1. thekiller666

thekiller666 Active Member

As by Garat his request, here is the community video made by members from The Realm.

SXX and cola_colin like this.
  2. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I liked it.

Also FPV Camera needs some work. And bandwith use. And nuke effects.
  3. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Since i'm not going to make a video, it's hard to come here and criticize.
    But i guess you're expecting comments.
    Well
    - I would not shoot the game when it's insanely lagging ;)
    - Camera is moving too fast and too much often.
    - There are good shootings which could be done on Metal planets

Well honestly did not like it (nor the music) but at least you made one, while i will not :D
  4. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Bravo, nicely done. Most of the problems I noticed were to do with the current state of the game, so I won't mention them.
  5. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

It's not easy to make a video like that in the alpha. All sorts of nasty bugs show up.
    -No nuke particles at the end due to lag
    -Units not responding to given commands, so they basically just stand around or get stuck.
    -The camera controls are somewhat clumsy, creating a real "on-rails" experience is just not doable.
    -No way to save chronocam replays, which makes it hard to use several different games for footage.

So given these things I am pretty surprised how thekiller still managed to make it looks pretty cool. I look forward to seeing better quality videos as the game progresses and gets rid of these bugs messing up the choreography :).
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

On the music, it was put together in a pinch by one of our members. We obviously couldn't use any copyrighted material and Garat advised we should have some music backing.

He did a pretty neat job in the very short time available in providing a good quality backing track!
  7. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

You did a great job considering the tools available to you.
  8. flnordin

flnordin New Member

i agree with "doud" and "Ghostflux"
    im not saying this to have a go on you but if you want to catch the beauty of PA you should have more strategic elements in it other than full frontal attacks with massive armies but other than that
    i agree with "ZaphodX" you did the best you could with the tools available to you
    because there are not much strategic elements in the game yet
  9. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Not bad for what I'm assuming is a first attempt at doing such a thing.

If you end up making a second one, I'd recommend working on your (virtual) camera skills. Don't move it so much, try and focus on static shots that give a good overview of the action, or perhap a slow panning shot. The more movement you have and the more axes you incorporate (i.e. moving the camera up and down as well as left and right whilst panning to the left/right), the more disorientating it is for the viewer.

I'd be curious to see your next video :)
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

very nice indeed, I am surprised how good you can control the camera considering the laggy state of the game.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I like the way how you show multiple planets, good work. ;)
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

you guys wanted to do good by showing massive battles, you should however have avoided this (along with the server rush hour) to not have server lag in the video.
  13. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

Nice video.
    Though I do agree with the other people's comments- the camera-work is a bit over the place.

Your making me slightly freak out because I didn't put my intro into my video. :confused:
  14. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

I`m sure you`ll be fine !

But on a side note yeah killer this video is the bomb. One week of hard work paid off. Shame the game is a laggy piece of watermelon
  15. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

Since there is like no real game balance right now, the amount of tactical options you have is fairly limited. Currently the "beauty" of PA is full frontal attacks with massive armies. There's simply not much more to the game right now.
  16. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

I think you should have left the parts with lag out, it really isn't visually flattering.

Otherwise well done