Regarding metal points

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by turroflux, July 1, 2013.

1. turroflux

turroflux Member

Should metal points have a strategic icons? I see no reason why they shouldn't. Also they should be more visually obvious zoomed in, like in SupCom with the little yellow/green square.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I have a feeling this is in the pipeline.
  3. SatanPetitCul

SatanPetitCul Active Member

I have a question about metal spot.

Should they appear beyond the fog of war ?

In most of the previous TA like game the metal spot are visible even if none of our units has discoverd it. Why ? mainly (my point of view) because the maps are known. So if the players were "metal spot blind" it would have created an unfair situation between players who know the map and player who discover it.
    But it is not the case in PA where the maps (planets) are randomly genereated. Then we can wonder, is it interesting or not to force the players to scout for metal ?
  4. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

For them being visible you can just assume that before being deployed to a planet some sort of scan was done on the planet for resource points. When the point of going to a planet is solely to mine it of its resources to expand your army then going to a planet devoid of resources would be a waste of a commander.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Your reasoning is wrong imho. There is no reason why a player who knows the map should not have an advantage. He knows more afterall. Knowledge is supposed to be power.

In the presence of a random map it is super important that mex are visible from the start. Or Player A randomly selects a position to start in the middle of nowhere, while player B ends up on 30 mex.
  6. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

I know Uber has mentioned wanting to have some randomness so that choosing a landing point is a strategic decision in itself. Having an easily defended base with a few mex vs open fields with no natural cover but tons of mex points. Though there does need to be some hard limits on how close mex can spawn to each other, how close clusters can be to each other (i.e patches of mex) and how large a patch itself can be (3-6 mex per cluster or 6-100, whatever is specified). How much spawns near a landing point and how far expansions mex points are from there. We are going to need some guarantee of fairness.

The main thing is that we don't want a game that is competitive to turn into one where the luck of the spawn makes it so one player wins simply because his spawn had way more mex available in small easily defended area vs another player having to spread out over a large area with hard to control mex points so he just loses, not because lack of skill, but just because the planet spawned the mex in an unfair way. I know there will be plenty of user made planets that address this, but we should be able to play on random planets just as easily.

Though until mex are actually working we can really only speculate about what is needed vs isn't. Once they are working this will be discussed way more in-depth I am sure.
  7. SatanPetitCul

SatanPetitCul Active Member

I wasn't questioning the explanation but the gameplay aspect ;)

Do you try to mindfuck me ??? :lol: just kidding

You raise an important point. The metal spot should be well distibuted on the planet (maybe it could be a custom value in the planet generator, in order to create more or less balaced planet). And the most important, the same amount of metal spot must be available in each spawn location.
  8. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Figh for the resources will bring a great way to play and find the best tactic to the field.
    Insted we just stay on ower base like simcity player we will be able to expand.
    And iff you want to win or give a good fight to anhilation the planet you will really have to go out,that will be very pleasure for us when possible.So many possibilits and options will open.
  9. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

It actually makes sense in a medieval game, that the map is black. Maybe its a new area or something. but the commander is landing on the planet, so how the hell should the planet be not known to him? He flew over it, before landing :p

For gameplay I like it, that you can see everything, though it takes away that part of sscouting the map. I find that unnecessary in other games though
  10. pureriffs

pureriffs Member

I hope they incorporate the deal sup com had when placing mass extractors. You could get an engineer and hover the mouse near a mass point and the building would auto fix over the mass so you could set up a shift build order for 6 mexes in like 1 second. I hope that makes sense..
    With TA and how it is now you have to be super carful when placing the mass as to get it in the right spot which adds to micro imo.
    I know in TA you had to place the extractor onto on the mass and this would determine the efficiency of how much mass you got but its more like hard work when you have other things to worry about.
  11. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Also you just don't land on a planet without knowing something about it.
  12. theduplex

theduplex New Member

Is it now possible to see the metal points?
  13. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Use ctrl+n to activate the strategic icons for them to make it easy to see. You can do that before you choose land spot, makes it much easier to get an overview. :)