How does the community feel about the lava planet details?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by cmdandy, August 24, 2013.

1. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

So I know I am pretty late to the party on this one. Although I watched the last live stream, and so therefore saw the lava planet design stages, I totally didn't notice these bits:
    lava2.png
    I think they look absolutely awful. Jammed on, repetitive, without any real pattern or coherency. Apart from their colour I don't feel like the fit on the planet at all!

Am I the only one who dislikes these? From what I gathered, the metal and lava planets are now quite close to being completed....

I know this is my personal opinion, and so if everyone else likes them it's just a put up and shut up for me! But I'm curious to know how everyone else feels.

I also understand that this isn't a big issue either way, there are a TON of more pressing things uber need to deal with (Alpha commander, scale, orbital).

Also sorry about my poor communication, I talk to you via the windows onscreen keyboard today...
  2. dbiton

dbiton Member

i actually kind of like them
  3. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I like them as well, they just don't have the textures done right yet. The color doesn't match the planet, and the ones sitting on top of lava should be glowing on the sides.
  4. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

They are still very very very early. not nearly done nor even as far along as the other ones.
  5. sechastain

sechastain Member

I like them.

I notice units getting hung up on them, though.
  6. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
  7. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Mind. Blown.
  8. bongologist

bongologist Member

Give it time bud, this is pretty new to the build and will be changed a lot I think.
    cmdandy likes this.
  9. Reminblack

Reminblack New Member

I think they are alright, repeditive and far too many at once most of the times. But in lesser quantities they are alright. especially once they add more varieties.
  10. mushroomars

I NOTICED THAT TOO! I was too lazy to post it though...
  11. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

Well thanks for the feedback guys.

I think your right, at the moment there are way too many - and too few varieties!

Yeah I hope your right. I must have got over excited thinking they were nearing the end of art development for lava!
    bongologist likes this.
  12. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

They are not even close to. IMHO, it looks still like an early draft only.

The metal planet is quite advanced, making use of decals to change navigation on the surface on the planet.

The lava planet isn't. The artist is still trying to find a working art style, and work on the decals has barely begun. So far, the planet is FLAT, and that says a lot because thats one thing you are going to find rarely on a planet with volcanic activity: Flat surfaces.

The original concept art did elevate pathable areas over the lava for a good reason, the current iteration more looks like black sand beach with red water....
    (Seriously. Invert the colors, dye the "beach" and you see what I mean.)
  13. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

I really do hope Uber share your opinion eterminans. I have to admit, I was hoping for more volcanic mountain ranges, rivers of laval that kind of thing.

I see what you mean about the black sand red water planet :p
  14. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

The metal and lava planets have been changed every single patch since they were first added. They aren't done yet.
  15. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

We need clean fields ,to many rocks or holes block units ,takes all the fun....
  16. tidus1492

tidus1492 Member

17. mushroomars

That's what desert planets are for.
  18. shotogun

shotogun Member

Why can't lava work like water except it damages you?
  19. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

I'm against making lava damage units simply because having to navigate them around lava is useless micro. Instead I would like unit pathing to regard lava as inaccessible.
  20. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

TA had acid planets that did that.