Drag build structures - extra modes suggestion

Discussion in 'Support!' started by zGeneral, August 22, 2013.

1. zGeneral

zGeneral Member

Hi

The devs have confirmed in other threads that they will implement "drag building" like in SC so we do not have to build walls one by one to make a line of walls.

I can safely assume that this will also apply to other structures like factories which is nice.
    but one of the silly mistakes we do when using this feature is making a long line of factories/pgens that will make units move a long way around them to reach from point to the other from each side of the "line".

as this feature is not implemented yet, may I suggest an extra mode to be added?
    "an every other structure" build order. so it leaves a gap between the structures. (101010101) instead of (1111111)
    or even better make it customizable so a player can enter (11101110)...etc to build three structures then a gap ...etc.

what do u think?
    lokiCML likes this.
  2. shenanigans42

shenanigans42 New Member

Works for me, Good idea.
  3. moldez

moldez Active Member

yeah would be a good thing ..
    I'd like to see something like:

1. choose the amount of buildings of one type you want to build .. lets say "5 factories"

2. klick on the planet to set startposition (and pos. of the first structure)

3. klick on the planet again to set endposition (and pos. of the last structure)

the line you draw lies between those two points .. the length is set through start and endposition and the structures are evenly placed between those two points.

so it could look like this:

OOOOO

O--O--O--O--O

or even

O-------------------------O-----------------------O-----------------------O---------------------O

think this would be a nice thing :)
  4. zGeneral

zGeneral Member

I like your idea, we can combine both ideas together with a slight modification

just drag the line as usual, this is the first step. the next step is using the mouse scroll to modify the pattern visually on the fly from default (11111) to (11110), (11100), (11000), (10000) and lastly the equal spacing as u presented. then left click to confirm.

here, we do not have to enter digits from the keyboard. all done from the mouse.
    extraammo likes this.
  5. moldez

moldez Active Member

good idea ...

would like to add another one -- because everything is somewhat round on a sphere :p

I offen build around mountains, craters so on .. a radial buildup if u want.
    so I`d like to additional see something like this:

you maybe want to build six factories around an obstacle:

1. choose startpoint
    2. selcet endposition
    3. select height (maybe this one is automatically increasing/decreasing a painted curve on the ground while moving the cursor)
    4. the structures are evenly placed on the radius

Placement.jpg
    Last edited: August 22, 2013
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

What of an area fill?

Well....actually thinking about it that might cause problems in differentiation when using other drag placement styles.
  7. moldez

moldez Active Member

maybe ..

there have to be some tweeks of course .. perhaps holding down shift/crtl or whatever ..

not so much an area fill in my opinion (that would also be great with an rectangular box painted on the ground and filled with ... engeryplants ?)

its more like a lineup placement following a curve

cheers
  8. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

I've seen this used before, is it part of FAF or TA4? I can't remember. I can imagine Spring already does this since I know they experiment a lot.
  9. Ralith

Ralith Member

Refer to Spring for examples of a good and flexible drag mode. You can drag out a line or, with the right modifiers, even a solid square, then use Z and X to precisely adjust the spacing between buildings.
  10. bongologist

bongologist Member

Can't wait to have drag on the walls building.
  11. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Neat idea, +1!
  12. moldez

moldez Active Member

yeah .. can`t wait for dragbuilding too ..

happy to see that buildingsnapping now works much better since the last update

.. or did I miss this change in an older update because I got used to manually put my buildings with a little distance to avoid the snapping?