Jumping Boats

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by flnordin, August 21, 2013.

1. unknown122

unknown122 New Member

what if they had a ship that was essentially a mobile peace of ground which you could build factories on or defenses on or roll land units on when close to shore and every thing still operates as it normally would
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that small puddles don't NEED to support naval play, just like how we don't expect tiny islands to support Land play, under a certain size Puddles and tiny islands default down to being terrain. A small island is an obstacle to naval units.

It's not that Naval should be missing tools, its that we need to be realistic in that any unit type like Land or Naval require a certain amount of space to function.

Mike
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

If you have rich underwater lake deposits, then why do you care about moving naval in/out of the water?

All the fighting is going to be... in the lake.
  4. flnordin

flnordin New Member

pa 2.jpg pa 3.jpg pa 5.jpg
    so as you can see it only jumps small gaps
    i can see it turning out into a cat and mous game that way but as you can see it can't jump huge gaps so its not an endless chase it brings more tactical gameplay and some fast paced action instead of heaving the biggest fleet with the longest attack range causing the enemy to observe the planet more instead of building naval factories at "the biggest" oceans letting him think twice before he builds his base that close to water wich he tought he had defended the best he could
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

no more monsters jumping on the bed.
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Don't build fleets in bloody puddles.

Use hovercraft in puddles instead.
  7. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Could you not make a naval portal. so you could build that in 2 places, and naval units would be able to get from one place to another.

Even better, it would be awesome if the game supported bridges over water for land units, and simliar making water ways across land.
  8. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Also those puddles, being on a 3000m radius planet, are large enough to hold thousands of Levelers.

Ideally on a planet that large seas would be CONNECTED, Jon just generated that to show off how OP the game is.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

If Uber were to implement every good idea, PA would become a bloated game with absolutely way too many facets for it to be playable.

So. Jumping ships. The idea is you would be able to take a fleet of ships, make them quickly jump to another small lake. Let's take a look at the inverse. A bunch of tanks suddenly being able to jump to the other side of the map. So suddenly there's a large tank force inside or next to your base. This is way OP. Since ships are much more powerful than tanks, jumping ships would be even more OP.

Jumping ships? OP.

Now someone mentioned using air transports to move ships – now that's more feasible. Have a large, slow moving, vulnerable transport that is able to move small ships to different bodies of water could work. Incoming fighters? Transport gets shot down, lose the ship. There would be massive drawbacks, risks, and cost to transporting ships.

Ultimately, that's what's needed for any game feature. Drawbacks, risks, and cost. If there's no risk for the reward, then there's no point in doing anything with risk.

If there's a very powerful tactic, like moving your ships, there needs to be drawbacks, risks, and cost otherwise the tactic is overpowered and nullifies other tactics.

Uber hasn't added air transports yet, so we should probably wait and see what they do with them.

On a different note.

If you want to use ships more, play on a tropical ocean based planet.
  10. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

On a planet like that mushroomars, you'd need hours, just to find each other... even if the seas were connected.
  11. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Fixed.
  12. flnordin

flnordin New Member

i tought uber mentioned something about bots crossing gaps and some of them even climbing mountains
    or maybe it was a suggestion
  13. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Start with one faulty premise, add more deliberate faults, and overreach a binary conclusion? HAHAHA. Nice one!

A jumping boat is definitely an individual case and not something to give for every ship. The nature of it is also up for grabs. Could a scout AA ship use it? Sure, it's a great way to get more reach for anti air coverage. Could a sub use it to cover uncomfortable stretches of land or marshes, and lay new ambushes elsewhere? There's no reason to suspect otherwise. Should a heavy destroyer have the ability? Probably not, as it detracts from the armaments needed on a heavy warship.

Unlike hovercraft, a jumping unit is helpless in the air and demands proper terrain to function again. It is much safer than using transports, which lets the unit be more effective in a raiding and fast attack capacity. Is it OP? Such a word doesn't even belong in the discussion. Abilities have things that they do and places to excel. All that matters is if they function as advertised to create interesting units, or screw up in a hilarious lopsided fashion.
  14. osirus9

osirus9 Member

I'm just gonna go ahead and say this will probably never get implemented into the official game because unit abilities like this are not part of PA. Units have special abilities that are on all the time, like "amphibious", or "can scale mountains", or "has the tracking speed necessary to hit planes". Something like a jump jet for boats would be a rather starcraftian ability that would need a range, and a cooldown, and all the things that PA doesn't have. So No matter how neat it may sound, it doesn't seem like it fits into the style of the game to me.

Also... Hovercraft.
  15. japporo

japporo Active Member

Terrain is modifiable in PA, so creating a canal should be possible for small gaps.
  16. KNight

KNight Post Master General

What's your reasoning for that?

Mike
  17. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

Sorry for my unqualified participation in this thread, but whenever i read the title in the forum lobby i can't help but to think of this: Ship just got real
  18. flnordin

flnordin New Member

i already knew this was not gonna be in the game i only explianed myself 3 times to be sure i did'nt got misunderstood. i know this is a more like starcraftian or C&C kind of idea so dont get me wrong im not pushing my ideas in the game i was just wondering if other people had already tought about it. anyways this topic is going on about for way too long.