[Suggestion] Beacon for allies

Discussion in 'Support!' started by filariuss, August 20, 2013.

1. filariuss

filariuss New Member

I suggest to add Beacon point, to make easier to show to allies place what you think is impotant. Sometimes it is hard to point your ally.

I think it must be special ghost object (or like strategy icon without bind to any object) what flash with color of player who setted it with transparent radial waves and visible only to allies.

On long range it can be directed waves - from Beacon to current view center (or ended on some distance from view center).

Here picture how I see it. Sorry fro quality - do not have skills :)
    beacon.png
    dala1984 and mushroomars like this.
  2. ShottyMonsta

ShottyMonsta Member

Not sure what the diagram is representing at all. Can you produce a more obvious example or explain it further in words?
  3. filariuss

filariuss New Member

It is analog of "ping" or "beacon" used in most strategy games. Usually it is flashing dot with short waves at mini-map. But in PA we have no minimap, so we must draw something on main screen to show where is Beacon located. Whatever game developers can find much better solution
  4. filariuss

filariuss New Member

5. emb4

emb4 Active Member

I think there should be two different pings, one for simple move orders and grabbing your allies attention, the other would just mean attack
  6. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Read the title as;

• Bacon for allies.

Left disappointed. 2/10
    tripper and mushroomars like this.
  7. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

This man is explaining how a Beacon would work on a sphere. The circle in the diagram represents (east and west?) hemispheres of a planet (would have been more accurate if it was exploding or covered in Scampers and Bot Factories), with a ping on the west (left) hemisphere of the planet. The eye represents the current position of the player's camera, and the green arrows are part of the HUD, indicating where the ping is in relation to the character.

10/10 good suggestion, no reason not to do it this way. Except that it might get spazzy if the player were to be able to move the ping once it's been placed.
  8. tidus1492

tidus1492 Member

Most RTS have this feature and certainly it would be helpful here, in addition to numbering starting positions
  9. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

Good idea! 10/10
  10. mrcurry

mrcurry New Member

+1 from Me.

I find trying to explain a position using common points of reference rather interesting but still I'd like this feature.
  11. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

alt + g like in sc2, should just ping the minimap. right no minimap.

It might be tricky then, because ping on the world isnt gonna do much if you ally cant see it, because he is zoomed in our viewing other side of the planet.

It would have to show a sort of notification on allies screen like, POI, point of interest or something. and for heavens sake limit the use, like when mad people spam the ping button on 2v2 in sc2, damn that gets annoying.
  12. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

You could just have an arrow on screen showing a ping on the other side of the planet.
  13. zGeneral

zGeneral Member

I never gave it a thought if it is going to be in game or not. may be because i took it for granted that it WILL be implemented as in most RTS games in recent years.

so yes (+1) not just a simple beacon but a variety of ones, like "attack here", "defend here", "check this out".