PA Beta gentlemens ladder

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cola_colin, June 21, 2013.

1. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Seconded, even though I'm not in the ladder anymore.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

rule changing now ...
  3. misp

misp New Member

I both agree and disagree. I think just as you say the wall spam can be a real pain i the... but on the other hand they are not that powerful now and not nr1 target for your troops any longer. And it also takes some more microing/time to place them. And kinda limiting their expansion. So it is a tie for me. I don't mind them so much but I don't mind to have the rule restored either.
  4. misp

misp New Member

Hehe I was thinking about the wall rule: Is it a must that the turret (laser or AA) is built first?

And this rule:
    - You are not allowed to make nukes or antinukes with your commander. That's a job for t2 engineers.
    Is it necessary in this patch? They fixed it I think.
  5. cola_colin

I think the order isn't that important, basically just don't abuse walls.

Yeah that rule is not needed anymore, good find.
  6. shenanigans42

shenanigans42 New Member

In-Game Name: Shenanigans42
    IRC/Screenname: Been a decade since i last used it, I'll make it Shenanigans
    Forum Profile: Shenanigans42

After finding out general online game shittalking and general acting like a 12 year old as permeated this game too, the idea of a friendly 1v1 group sounds great.
  7. thedbp

thedbp Member

8. thedbp

thedbp Member

Would anybody be interested in a desktop version of this app?
    crystilac and Clopse like this.
  9. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Could you expose the results as JSON? I could then make a quick mod to display the top 10 on the game's start screen.
  10. cola_colin

You could ask Yrrep in the irc, his bot queries data like that from the ladder. I think it's not json though.
  11. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

removed
    Last edited: September 6, 2013
  12. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

removed
    Last edited: September 6, 2013
    thedbp likes this.
  13. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

(Friendly hint: there's an edit button if you feel like retracting any of your statements)
  14. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

How do I go about getting my password reset for the ladder app?
  15. cola_colin

Pm thedbp and hope he answers. As explained in the initial posts passwords are stored unencrypted so he can just give you your password.
  16. Z3K0N15

Z3K0N15 Active Member

Dammnit Cola we need to have a mach together,im surprised we havent yet...Damn gfx burned out took a while to get new ones :(
  17. cola_colin

I am in the irc a lot, you'll find me there.
  18. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

I'd like to contest the way rules are being incorporated into the ladder. Having had a discussion with cola_colin, he believes that since he started the thread he can put whatever rules he wants into the ladder and we have to abide by them unquestionably or we will get "banned from the ladder".

The latest rule you might not have noticed he implemented without discussion was to ban people from overshooting (ie targeting your own units so that they fire into space - useful for trying to snipe enemy units from outside your normal range if your aim is good enough). I'm willing to accept that this may be considered an exploit since you are forcing the unit to be able to fire beyond its normal range.

However, since it takes micro to do it, you have to aim in the right direction and all the units will no longer auto attack enemies and are unable to move while doing it, I think that it could be considered a 'trick' more than an 'exploit'. If both players are able to do this trick then whoever is better at doing it is going to get an advantage out of that situation (ie it rewards skill, control and multitasking ability). I'd like to at least have a small discussion on the implementation of this rule and would also like to suggest that future rules should be discussed here in the thread before their immediate implementation just because cola_colin got on the bad end of it in a game, and would like that to be the accepted course of action in the future.

I'll re-iterate that I'll be happy to abide by any rules that the majority of the ladder agree on, including ones I do not agree with as long as there has been a discussion from the ladder members regarding it. I am not overly excited about abiding by rules that cola_colin chooses to implement as he wishes under the threat of being banned from the ladder if I do not.
  19. Z3K0N15

Z3K0N15 Active Member

Have to agree with Neptunio on that.It is a bit of a D*ck move to ban people just for expressing their opinions.
  20. cola_colin

I did not threat to ban anybody just for expressing their opinions.
    You(neptunio) were being rather aggressive about this topic (you still are) and said you'd break rules like spam walls so I told you you would get a ban out of it.

I am open to discussion at any time, but in this case it was quite an obvious exploit and I was surprised to see you using it at all. So I told you it is an exploit and added the rule to clarify that it's an exploit, I also added a bug report just to be shown there is already one here: http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/...task_id=928&project=1&order=history&sort=desc.

About me believing I can put up any rule I want:
    YES I can do that. I started this ladder after all. Until this point I always had the last say on what rules it is played by. But I am trying to find rules that make the game as enjoyable as possible to play and to find rules that people agree on. If I feel there is a need for discussion I ask about it and am open to complaints. So while in theory I could make any rule I want I am actually limited by what the majority of people wants or not. I am trying to make rules that many people want to play with basically. Ofc the last word will be mine, but a wrong last word from me and people start to not play the ladder anymore. Which is not my goal at all.

So after as there seems to be a need for discussion here:
    Does anybody feel that we need to allow an exploit that goes as follows:

1. Select big army
    2. Tell big army to friendly fire directly onto your own units in some direction
    3. get a big high range spread shot into that direction as a result that kills enemy units that should be out of range

???