Very low FPS when combat.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by apocalypsepork, August 12, 2013.

1. apocalypsepork

apocalypsepork Member

So, when I start the game I've got 50~60 FPS, BUT, once the combat start my FPS turn to 2~5... I'ts realy annoying !

Attached Files:

2. ShottyMonsta

ShottyMonsta Member

have you checked your fps by using Ctrl+P? Because I thought I had low fps but it stay pretty much 30 fps through full match and it's in fact the gamestate isn't being recieved fast enough from the server to match the 30+ fps you would be expecting to see.

Also fairly surprised you would be getting 50-60 FPS when starting a game as I am getting 30-35 FPS on a GTX680 Classified. Unless game is more suited for ATI cards or you were playing on a size 1-2 planet. I have had massively higher framerates on 1-2 size planets compared to 3-4.
  3. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

This is not surprising. And it's one of the things we're taking a closer look at again as we get closer to beta. Combat in particular is very punishing even for good machines currently.
  4. ShottyMonsta

ShottyMonsta Member

I've actually noticed on large planets with massive armies although I am getting bad FPS (15-20) my cpu usage is constantly hovering at 14% regardless. GPU isn't even getting hot either.
  5. shenanigans42

shenanigans42 New Member

I'm having a similar problem, but its just when the game gets past a certain scale my machine will take a dive for performance, becoming a total slideshow and locking up the machine. When I have an army, and theres at least 10+ factories per player even in a 1v1, placing a building takes around 5 to 10 seconds, and I can't do any more complex manuevers with units than click move into enemy base and hope they target and punch a hole large enough to cause them some diress.. its barely playable. Which is a shame, because I really enjoy it when it runs smoothly.

Attached Files:

6. s31apoc

s31apoc New Member

i dont get more than 10 or 15 fps sometimes 5 or 6 all the time.. ive pretty much given up playing till a later build.. tried unplugging second monitor no change at all .

Attached Files:

7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Have you tried different display/driver settings? Unplugging itself usually isn't helpful because problem not in monitors, but in some drivers bugs. E.g in some specific situation like multiple monitor/SLI/etc Nvidia driver enable (or disable) some code which results as low FPS in game. :)
    s31apoc likes this.
  8. s31apoc

s31apoc New Member

dont really know what i would change other games run great or at least good, this game is unplayable for me. if it doesnt change its just a loss.. ive tried the game on nvidias current driver and the one before it, no change

my system isnt the best but 10 fps is just unpleasant to the point of not even testing the game.. im not bitching its alpha but it was an expensive alpha for what is nothing at this point. im sure it will get better but it seems like something is just broke not a my machine cant handle it problem..
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's just problem with some configurations due to game bug or driver bug, both situations are possible. I think it's driver bug because people with AMD graphics don't have same problem.

Most of people (include me) on this forums have performance problems, but some on start and some a bit later in game. If you know a bit more about computers you can try run game different configurations (it's help for most of people) otherwise you need to wait for future fixes.

PS: Sometimes sound drivers also might be reason of lags. Seems like your headset drivers a bit outdated:
    Code:
    Description: Speakers (3- Plantronics GameCom 780)
    Date and Size: 11/4/2011 20:47:58, 1327104 bytes
    You can simply try to run game w/o headset, or probably grab latest software here:
    http://www.plantronics.com/us/support/myheadset/control-pc-audio.jsp
    There was few people who have low FPS caused by audio drivers, so there is low chance it's will help you.
    Last edited: August 20, 2013
  10. s31apoc

s31apoc New Member

im pretty good with computers.. didnt think about headset, dling now
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

If so you just need experiment more and probably you can check what exactly reason of low performance. :)

I also don't think that audio drivers might cause any performance problems, but I helped many people here and few of them had problems exactly because non-standard audio devices with outdated/broken drivers.