Why Steam Exclusive?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Emerson, January 10, 2011.

1. Emerson

Emerson New Member

While many people here adore Steam, I am disappointed that MNC is a Steamworks title and is so far a Steam-exclusive game. PC gaming thrives on competition, but by limiting such a great game to a single store, you do nothing but strengthen Valve's hold on the platform. What I find most shocking is that Bob Berry screwed one of Valve's competitors once when he abandoned Demigod in its infancy (essentially killing the game), and now he's doing it again by giving Valve exclusive control of his new game. Weak.

All hail Steam, or something.
  2. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Steam is the best option for Uber. End of story. I wish more games would use Steam now frankly.

Stardock has its own set of problems it needs to deal with. And I don't think you understand how Stardock became the publisher of Demigod.
  3. Rammite

Rammite New Member

Honestly, If you want a PC game, your first (and possibly only) options are to buy it from Steam, or buy a CD

And since Americans are lazy (Admit it.), We'd rather go on Steam.

It's really the best and widest way to buy a PC game.

And honestly, I don't know of any other PC game distributor.
  4. Emerson

Emerson New Member

Why must it be the only option? I didn't realize that it took any effort to sell a game through multiple digital distributors. Also, I don't see the benefits of Steamworks other than for the meaningless achievements. Perhaps Uber likes the fact that Steamworks is the only DRM solution with such a devoted following, which is an easy out as far as PR and anti-piracy features go?
  5. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

Everything takes effort, time and money, even a simple port which is not what we want to do with MNC on PC. We picked Steam because it is the best platform for the direction we want to take MNC. Steam, Valve and Steamworks has been been great to work with and all the tools and support available to us as developers is invaluable. As for your Bob Berry accusation, that's not what happened nor does it help us to screw anyone over.
  6. st0nedpenguin

st0nedpenguin New Member

There are a whole lot of small development teams out there that are still making games thanks to Steam and their promotions, Valve are far from the giant evil corporation people seem to think they are.
  7. Emerson

Emerson New Member

*shrug* Alrighty then. Unfortunate, but if that's your reponse, so be it.
  8. Emerson

Emerson New Member

Most people praise Valve. Other than a small handful of people wishing to keep Valve from monopolizing the PC gaming sales market, people are extremely defensive of Valve and are generally Steam apologists or fanatics.

Giant evil corporation? Smearing people who object to Steamworks I see. I respect Valve as a company but dislike the future of a Steam-dominated market. Please refrain from tarring me with such value judgments.
  9. o

o Head Honcho Official PA

There's a ton of back story I don't think you're aware of surrounding Demigod and my departure from the project. This isn't the venue to lay all that out but suffice it to say I stand by my actions. I did what I felt was best for that project, the company, and myself.
  10. Rammite

Rammite New Member

You have a point. So far, Valve and Steam have been doing some pretty good things, especially since they're so mod/indie developer friendly.

But since they pretty much control the Digital Distribution market, they're in the position and power to really screw with us.
  11. st0nedpenguin

st0nedpenguin New Member

The chance of any digital distribution method monopolizing the PC games sales market is right up there with the chance of Activision becoming an altruistic company dedicated to free gaming and EA not selling any more sequels.

Steam apologist/fanatic? Rather that than a conspiracy theorist I guess.
  12. Emerson

Emerson New Member

Fair enough. If I'm missing vital details, please excuse my comment. I appreciate the reply.
  13. Emerson

Emerson New Member

Conspiracy theorist = objecting to market domination? My mind is blown.
  14. st0nedpenguin

st0nedpenguin New Member

Developers choosing to release games via Steam = market domination? Now MY mind is blown.
  15. Emerson

Emerson New Member

So if Steam eventually has 80-90% control of PC gaming sales because developers choose to use Steamworks, it won't be market domination because of said choice?

Please explain. Control of the market is still control of the market, no?
  16. Polynomial

I have defended you guys on every forum the Demigod topic comes up on >.>

I learned a lot speaking with Jon last year at PAX East.
  17. Mibuwolf

Mibuwolf New Member

well said. I like Steam. It has a great amount of people that support it, and there's just no competition for it.
  18. Polynomial

They're a business. They are not in the business of screwing their customers. They're around to make money. That's the primary role of a business.
  19. traitormagnus

traitormagnus Member

Valve only has a monopoly with Steam when they can effectively stop every attempt at starting a competing digital distribution service. Thankfully they're not rich enough yet to lobby the U.S. congress to get such regulation passed.
  20. Emerson

Emerson New Member

You may be unaware that competition can still exist when a monopoly is present, but that competition is rendered insignificant. 100% market share is not a pre-condition for a monopoly.