HELP ME FIND A LAPTOP FOR COLLEGE

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by emb4, August 5, 2013.

1. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

My brother games on a cheap laptop and has a Mouse and Keyboard plugged in. He is able to play all the games he wants to play with little to no issues.
  2. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

My mindset exactly when my laptop used to be the most powerful computer I had owned. Then I built a desktop.
    <60 frames per second, never again.
  3. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

He doesn't play much past the simple 15$ indie games. It runs Spelunky just fine. He's also mainly a console gamer so that's where his main games are. Gears of War, Dead Space, Mass Effect.
  4. tehemopenguin

tehemopenguin Moderator Alumni

Actually, I'm kinda serious, I'm considering one myself. :B
    knickles likes this.
  5. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Did you read the OP? Pretty sure an Apple product doesn't fit the criteria.
  6. emb4

emb4 Active Member

wireless mouse
  7. emb4

emb4 Active Member

My mom has one and it costs her like 1.5 k

It can't play games, even if you put windows on it its not built for that stuff

Its made for stuff like watching videos and typing papers, anything more than games like tf2 it can't do

I would rather get a macbook pro, and I dont want a mac
  8. JammySTB

JammySTB Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty sure the MBA only has an HD4000.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Well then my warning still fit the criteria, that if he didn't mind being limited to games now or older then go for it.

I just have my reasons to discourage laptops. When you find out it can't play that game you want in six months, bam, you either pay for new computer or struggle finding some way to get it to run and or come to the forums and complain (see pa forums where most cannot run it on laptop)

I have had the issue of laptops quickly becoming obsolete. I have had many people come to me for pc help, me break it to them, and they not understand and believe i know nothing about computers. I honestly used to not know the difference between dedicated and integrated graphics. Why have a chip solely for game graphics, why couldn't a computer run it with what it already has? But if you think about it, like i found, as games require more vram and calculating, the more ram newer games use to calculate, the less left for integrated graphics when it too needs more. Two sources asking for more from a source that could barely supply one just doesn't keep up half as long as two separate reserves of supply would.
  10. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

wireless mice are an abomination of nature.
  11. emb4

emb4 Active Member

If you do research its pretty easy to know what you can and can't run and what you want and what you dont.

For exampe if you know to look for a decent dedicated card with decent video ram, and a newer gen i7 you can run alooooot of stuff
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

By that logic, i know i don't want a laptop. All i can tell you is the reasons i wouldn't want one, in case you actually don't want one and just don't know it yet.

Not the first person i heard need one for college, and that sucks. I guess the other option left for me in that situation, would be to get one that runs what you need now, and sell it as early as possible so it still has decent sell value.
  13. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

That 2nd Lenovo one

• IdeaPad Y410p Laptop - 59369921 - Dusk Black: Weekly Deal
    • Web price: $1,299.00
      After eCoupon:
      $829.00
      You save: $470.00
    Looks pretty good for the price. You have to think about diminishing returns with high end stuff. Often times you pay lots more for only a bit of increase in power.

Or

$1200 with a $100 Rebate, so $1100
    Probably best to use the leftover money to buy a laptop cooling pad for gaming sessions.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152409

General
    Operating System - Win 8 Multi-language
    CPU Type -Intel Core i7-4702MQ (2.20Ghz)
    Screen -14" HD+ Non Reflection
    Memory Size -8GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Hard Disk -750GB (7200RPM)
    Optical Drive - DVD Super Multi
    Graphics Card -NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M
    Video Memory -2G GDDR5
    Dimensions -13.35"x9.42"x0.87"~1.14"
    Weight -4.4 lbs
    Last edited: August 15, 2013