PA is crashing my Video Card

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Grounders10, August 8, 2013.

1. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

Thought the same a few years ago while playing SupCom 2 (GPU heated up to 98°C)
    "my GPU can't be too hot, i have cleaned it"
    i was wrong.
    If your Card has one of the Metal-Covers like my old card, remove it
    [​IMG]
    could not see the inside, fan was clean, but as soon as i opened it, i could see the problem.
    Even if its not the problem, i have seen this many times now with several friends who thought the same
    "but i have cleaned it, its still too hot"
    "do you have opened the metal cover?"
    "no, why should i?"
    "just do it"
    "oh...thanks"
  2. marder2075

marder2075 New Member

I had a similar problem after i bought a new computer a few years ago.
    A BIOS-update of my mainboard and then installing the chipset-drivers solved it.
  3. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

There's also an "easy" answer to your problem. Your card has a physical defect somewhere. Thanks to PA advanced architecture it uses the graphic cards in some ways that other games don't which can lead to defect to lead to a crash.

I had the same issue and replacing the defective card with a new one solved it (everything else stayed absolutely the same, just took old card out, new one in and yes I tried the old one again afterwards for the same issue).

It was funny as it only happened with few games and not all of the time with those even.
  4. Grounders10

Grounders10 Member

I don't have a cover like that. I've just got a couple of fans without any covers on them... not sure why you'd want a cover on them anyway seems like it would reduce efficiency. I also took mine apart and oil the moving parts, the parts usually covered by the label.
  5. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

I believe I've fixed my issue. I recently switched my RAM and apparently the new type of RAM is not in the "Qualified Vendor List" for my motherboard. I switched back to the RAM I had previously and this stopped the vast majority of crashes in PA (as well as crashes in other games and BSODs). Took me awhile to figure this out since running memtest on the "bad" RAM didn't give any errors so I didn't think that was the culprit at first.

Unfortunately, I doubt this will help anybody else unless they've also recently acquired new RAM.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

interesting thanks for sharing.
  7. antillie

antillie Member

That is really odd. Maybe the RAM was designed for 2.0 volts and the motherboard was only able to run it at 1.8 volts or something odd like that. I have seen that crop up a few times over the years when the mobo and ram aren't able to agree on a voltage.

Although why it wouldn't show on a memory tester I don't know.
  8. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

my RAM is also not on the "Qualified Vendor List", cant run it in Dual Channel.
    But i have no problems
  9. antillie

antillie Member

I don't think I have ever looked at the list of officially compatible RAM for any of the dozens of mobos I have built systems from in the past 10 years and I have never had an issue.

I just match the speed and voltage and go. If I want dual channel I also match the timings between the sticks or buy a matched pair for each channel. Simple.
  10. SleepWarz

SleepWarz Active Member

I'm curious of this thread because I have never ever met a person in my life who oils sealed bearing fans. Are you running some different fans that requires it? Because in my experience oil on electronic components is pretty good at trapping heat and dust/causing problems.
  11. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

i think he did not oil the circuit, he oiled the mechanical parts.
  12. tatsujb

well I haven't either yet I can't get this new ram to run @ 2400Mhz (it's normal speed) and have a stable system. it runs for a really long time but if i do premiere encoding, it doesn't like that. is it impossible to have this speed on a 2011 mobo?
  13. antillie

antillie Member

Looking at the DDR 1, 2, and 3 JEDEC standards I don't see 2400 MT listed as one of the official speeds. What does CPU-Z say the JEDEC timings are for each of the sticks? (SPD tab) Are they all the same? Also what clock speed does CPU-Z say that the memory is currently running at?
  14. overtkill782842

overtkill782842 New Member

I have seen oodles of these issues with graphics cards. As was stated further up the thread, it usually resulted in replacing the card due to a defect. If you have another spare card of any brand around, you might try installing it to be certain.

Also, if you haven't done so, head over to the AMD/ATI forums and search for the error. This will usually point to how to resolve this issue. If installing a newer bios version and chipset drivers (as someone stated above) does the trick, great. But in my experience with vid cards, it usually means a defect. In fact, I had the same issue on one of my two EVGA Geforce 295's a couple years ago on my last system. EVGA replaced the card free of charge.

Best of luck! :)
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's seems like latest build don't have this issue. Can Nvidia users who previously met problem confirm this on bugtracker?

Nvidia error code 6: FS#1865
    NVIDIA OpenGL Time Out Driver Crash: FS#1813
  16. Grounders10

Grounders10 Member

Good news: My Computer is not crashing in a bizarre and strange manner. Bad News: I can no longer join games because PA Stops responding when it tries to join them...
  17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Can you upload new DxDiag.txt, there is other person who have same problem with loading time, need to check if there correlation between your hardware/software configuration.
  18. tatsujb

did you wait???
  19. SXX

SXX Post Master General

20. tatsujb

ok, just suggesting the obvious... sometimes the most complicated problems....