PA Beta gentlemens ladder

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cola_colin, June 21, 2013.

1. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I think the commander repair glitch should be added to the rules. I would consider this as an obvious exploit.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I only noticed myself yesterday for the first time: You mean that engineers keep repairing even if the commander walks away?
    I agree on that, if I am understanding it correctly.
  3. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

It should be against the rules but it's pretty easy to it by accident. Perhaps make it so you can't move the commander if he is being repaired?
  4. cola_colin

Sounds reasonable.
    Added the rule.
  5. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Yeah, thats what i meant, perfect.
  6. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

I disagree, but I guess the council has spoken.

This rule is too easily accidentally broken. I propose 1 engi max repairing at a time on commanders. People will inevitably whine if they see the commander moving when being repaired, and the natural reflex to being under attack is to move. I'm even fine with saying no commander repairing full stop. This rule seems too flimsy.
  7. zaphodx

I don't think it's too hard to stop engineers repairing if you want to move your commander. Just get used to a commander remaining still for engys to repair (how it should be).

Could do only 1 engineer allowed to repair.

Imo walls still seem op enough to restrict usage for now. We need some testing ofc.
  8. cola_colin

I don't feel one engie repair solves anything. It would basically allow super range repair, which is imho totally not necessary. So either no repair at all or repair only when standstill.

About walls... well let's just test it by removing the rule. You're encouraged to build walls now and try it out :p
    If it turns out to be imba the rule will be added again.
  9. Armond

Armond New Member

I don't think anyone disagrees with you (except about how much people will whine; it's a pretty chill community, from what I can tell). It's definitely very easy to accidentally break the rule - it's a habit people have picked up from various games in the genre over the years - but I also don't think "no commander repairing at all ever" is a good idea either.

The point of the rule - in fact, the point of the entirety of the gentleman's rules - is to offer a workaround to the bugs and exploits inherent to an alpha build in a fair manner. When the bug/exploit is "infinite range repairs on the commander which grant him the ability to attack with impunity from the other side of the map compared to your fabbers", restricting the strength of the repairs is not an adequate solution. When the problem is that an aspect of the game otherwise considered standard - the range at which a fabrication unit can make a repair - is broken, the solution is not to change another, separate aspect of the game - the strength/frequency of which those repairs are made.

All that said... alpha is alpha. The alpha ladder is honestly not a big deal. And you're right in that it's a flimsy rule - it's hard to enforce and it's hard to check, but that's why it's a gentleman's rule. If you're convinced it's such a huge deal, fine, whatever, pretend it doesn't exist. The bug will probably be fixed in a month (less, even) and in six months no one will care. Just don't play like a douche in the meantime, don't exploit obvious issues, don't be a **** - in short, be a gentleman by the spirit of the rules even if not by the letter.
  10. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Quality post, a true Gentleman,
  11. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

I think there should be a rule to protect people from sea maps. The startspots are often imbalanced to the point where a player has to get a construction ship before they can build a mex. There is no ship balance yet.
  12. cola_colin

There is a rule that says you can request a restart if you don't like your starting position. Isn't that what you want?
  13. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

That's sort of enough but I feel bad constantly restarting games. We can choose map type so I think it would be better off to not play sea. Of course if both players wanted to give it a go they can, no point stopping them.
  14. zaphodx

Btw, last time I checked the repair bug appears to be fixed in the most recent patch.
  15. cola_colin

I think I noticed that too. I'll remove the rule.
  16. SatanPetitCul

SatanPetitCul Active Member

it s written AI2 instead of Ohhhshiny on my screenshot :/ but Ohhhshiny can confirm the result, and Damasky also.
    Last edited: August 7, 2013
  17. cola_colin

Yeah it's a known bug, don't worry too much.
  18. ezzkilla

ezzkilla New Member

If anyone ever wants to play me for an ez lose add me on steam my name is EzZKilla or Tainted_fate. Always welling to play also have a team speak so we can team up or talk and that is ikongaming.ts.nfoservers.com poke me if you want to get moved to the PA channel.
  19. instantshadow

instantshadow New Member

FINALLY I FOUND YOU GUYS! anyone wanna try a 1 vs 1 against me? i have won most of my games and have been playing since release of alpha :cool:. add me on steam and it will be easier to set up a matchsteam id: instantshadow.

i think i will be on in 5 hours after this post 19:00 gmt+2 sweden summer time
  20. ezzkilla

ezzkilla New Member

People add me to your steam EzZKilla want to start playing in the league.