Vertical Construction

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by echoblazer, August 7, 2013.

1. echoblazer

echoblazer New Member

The repetitive look of cities, with spammed metal/energy production buildings side by side and the occasional factory in between, isn't very attractive. Being able to build vertically, i.e. build on top of an already existing building and still have the ability to use both to their full extent, would allow for very unique construction.

There is obviously no easy way to add this to the game and I realize that it is nearly impossible to make such dramatic changes this late in the development. Nonetheless, I am still presenting this idea because I do believe it's a good one, even if it is more of a funny idea than a realistic suggestion.

Not only would the ability to stack buildings allow for more visually appealing setups, it could add another strategic challenge for players to master. Vertical Construction would allow players to design economic powerhouses, or mass producing factories, in a confined space by building into the sky. Of course, if the buildings on the bottom are completely destroyed, the buildings on top would likely be lost as well. A major disadvantage of course, but on the other hand, the perimeter of the base would be tiny compared to a base that's been spread flat across a large space. Defending a smaller perimeter is much easier. For example, you need to cover less land with turrets, fighter shields, and other defensive units and buildings. The fight for land has always been one of the most interesting and challenging parts of any annihilation game, but just because you can build an effective base in a confined area wouldn't reduce the appeal of expanding to capture more metal points and gain more control of the map.

Basically, vertical construction would just add another unique aspect to an already unique game. It would make way for a whole array of new strategies and playing styles.

Just wanted to put this out there, hoping for some interesting conversations. Post your thoughts and ideas... please note that nothing in this post is well thought through.
  2. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

3. echoblazer

echoblazer New Member

My bad, I'll look through the already existing posts next time.

More than just stacking factories though, generally being able to connect any buildings to other buildings for strategic purposes would be pretty awesome.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

XD still an existing thread. insert coin.
  5. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

The dev's spoke about building T2 metal on top of T1 metal as a feature they are considering. I like the idea of this approach, and for more than just mex's.

You could have T2 AA as an extension of existing T1 AA, and so on and so forth.

Obviously factories should remain seperated.
  6. tatsujb

that also is an existing thread.
  7. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

The T2 metal on top of T1 is to remove the need for self destructing the T1 first. I also see no reason for allowing vertical construction of any kind to the likes we saw the AI do, i mean seriously, its not like we will run out of space to build in.
  8. vl3rd5

vl3rd5 Member

What about air unit attack animations? This would be a problem if skyscrapers can be built.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

It's less attack animations(that isn't a thing that exists for aircraft if they're using a similar system to SupCom) and more so about Air Pathfinding which could definitely cause problems.

Mike
  10. schuesseled192

I haven't started a new thread....

@ gunshin, I'm fully aware of why they might design mexs this way.

A reason why the other constructions could be handled similarily? Because its cool?

Oh heavens no, I must come up with some thing else
  11. echoblazer

echoblazer New Member

The limit for how tall the buildings can be built would have to be lower than the flight path of planes so that there would be no complications there.
  12. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Sorry what benefits does this bring? Space and base layout is important, if you're going to build a lot then you have to spread yourself out thinner and become more vulnerable to raiding.

Why buff turtling? Why have ugly retarded skytowers sticking out of the planet?
  13. echoblazer

echoblazer New Member

Whether stacking buildings would look ugly or not would depend on the graphic designers. As for turtling, I have never seen someone who didn't expand effectively have any chance of winning. Being able to build upwards would allow people to have a more centralized base. Of course, they would still need to expand for metal points...
  14. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Since I need to post this in every thread of this kind:

What you want is building upgrades. A bit different working, but it still are upgrades.

And upgrades are thankfully ruled out. :mrgreen:

(Yes, I want to force you to sprawl and expand, its the motto of this type of rts genre. :twisted: )
  15. schuesseled192

Lets be fair here, people who don't expand properly won't do so whether its horizontal or vertical.
  16. tatsujb