No more desert maps. :(

Discussion in 'Support!' started by ozolus, August 7, 2013.

1. ozolus

ozolus New Member

Assuming because the "Biome Scale" slider is now gone, there seems to be no way to reduce the mountain ranges to nothing in order to let the desert sands roll.

Any word on if a desert Biome is in the works?

Wanna Dune muhself up!
  2. Tellaris

Tellaris New Member

3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Nothing is final, just because they did up some concepts doesn't guarantee anything.

Mike
  4. VectorShift

VectorShift New Member

:ugeek: Like this? :D
  5. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Fun Fact: Desert Biomes already exist, they just don't generate anymore, at least not in large sizes or quantities. You used to be able to generate entire desert planets by setting tr temperature on an Earthlike to 100+. It's all trees, beaches and mountains now though, with a little ice and some ice planets.
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Biomes are separate to planet types. Planet types are the items we see in the list:
    • Earth
    • Tropical
    • Moon
    • Metal
    • Lava.

Each of these can use one or more Biomes. Biomes are:
    • Desert (earth)
    • Sand (earth, tropical)
    • Grass (earth, tropical)
    • Jungle (tropical)
    • Moon (moon)
    • Metal (metal)
    • Lava (lava)
    • Ice (earth, tropical)
    • Mountain (earth, tropical)

The biomes have various parameters around where abouts on the planet they can be found, including distance from water, temperature (generally colder near the poles) and elevation.

These can be tweaked, and new ones added, although they are not currently playable. See this thread in the modding forum: [REFERENCE] Planet Type, Biome, Feature & Decal Blueprints
  7. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

Hi all,

I might be wrong about this but I've been able to mostly create a desert planet with the temp up at 100 and then adding a little bit of water. having no water just makes it rocky. Adding a little bit of water adds a desert.

Cheers,

-Todd
  8. ozolus

ozolus New Member

EXACTLY. (spice must flow)

Right! This is what I was shooting for and now it generates mostly mountain ranges. Something like this: http://imgur.com/uI6Zl0J

I've tried many variations to get the "Desert Planet" feel to no avail. :/ Oh well. As long as I can blow things up!