HELP ME FIND A LAPTOP FOR COLLEGE

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by emb4, August 5, 2013.

1. emb4

emb4 Active Member

2. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

What games are you going to want to play on it?
  3. emb4

emb4 Active Member

all the games i play now plus probably some newer ones later so

smite
    loadout
    planetary annihilation
    battlefield 4
    path of exile
    bioshock infinite

plus I do alot of video editing so the better the graphics the better it is at that stuff

Since im going to college i dont want it to be biigger than 14 inches
  4. heartsynthesizer

heartsynthesizer New Member

>1.3k on a laptop
    good lord
    >No, I don't run the FoxCat, my helmet has 5 recharge. How come I am a scrub?
    I'm sorry, but you have 32 hours on Blacklight according to Steam and only 3 posts on the forums. Here is a smiley face for you
    DELUDED
    5 minutes of newegg-fu and I got this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834152407
    8970M was better than the 770M in its price range
    that lenovo laptop had a 750M
    go post
    y u no
    fine I post

The 8970M would have between 7770 and 7850 performance, which is is like mid-range performance.

>not being a hipster and bringing in a mini-itx desktop

Edit: Oh, it can't be more than 14 inches? Have these, they're HDD and SSD versions:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834152409
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834152408

There aren't any models with good GPUs with that res, I don't think.
  5. emb4

emb4 Active Member

That thing is 17 inches

Is there a smaller and less massive version?

Nvm ninja edit
  6. heartsynthesizer

heartsynthesizer New Member

You should consider just getting the models with bigger screens. The 760M has less than half the benchmarks of the 8970M and there aren't laptops with better GPUs at that screen size.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I'm just going to post the obligatory "laptops barely run video games" comment.

Besides my suggestion to if at all possible just get a gaming desktop with a cheap notebook, I would agree with just getting a slightly larger laptop.

Other than that, you probably have the limit of power-to-cost-to-size with your post.

I got a laptop back when I was going console-and-runescape, and I regret it even for runescape.
  8. poiuasd

With that budget you can easily get a laptop that runs everything listed in the OP well.
  9. emb4

emb4 Active Member

Heres the laptop i linked playing bioshock infinite on high settings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZFU5yvcnlg

Heres the laptop heartsenthysiser linked playing skyrim on high http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1r7rdEjTt0

Getting two laptops is a waste of money, a big gaming laptop will be over 1k and a cheap notebook can still be 250 dollars
  10. JammySTB

JammySTB Well-Known Member

Trophy suggested getting(building preferably) a desktop and buying a cheap laptop, not buying two laptops.
  11. emb4

emb4 Active Member

If i had space for a desktop I would bring the one I already have
  12. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

My laptop is pretty alright for games, although since I've NEVER had a good PC I'm used to playing at max 30fps. I recently lowered settings a little in EVE to move it up to 60fps average and was like "SH1T WHOAH", and now I'm depressed about my laptop xD
  13. thetrophysystem

Hey, it's the obligatory warning, if not me than someone would post it.

I had a laptop that ran mnc and runescape, barely runs snmc and runescape now. Like unplayably.

It scales a lot more harsh is all i am saying. With absolute necessity and a thousand dollars, buy one that can play PA and be prepared to not play new games after a year of college. It wouldn't matter to me, i rarely move to newest games, that's why my desktop will be as strong as your laptop next 4 years.

But my desktop can be upgraded if i want later. I won't.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Bee1 i guess i would try to build a slim desktop with a custom flip case, but it isn't so sure an idea as far as price and rigging to work. But I'd try it ahead of a laptop. This is an excessively expensive build, cheaper with 16g ram and quad core and 2g gpu, but would be cheaper and run better than laptop.

Actually, thus topic is very enlightening, I'll put it on my list of future goals, to build a portable desktop rig that is laptop like.
  14. JammySTB

You could probably find a smaller mITX case.
  15. emb4

emb4 Active Member

How can you not run runescape like what
  16. thetrophysystem

You would have to see it. First, accurate clicking and touchpads don't intermingle. If I use a laptop with a usb mouse then what happened to the "mobility"? Inaccurate clicking wastes time, multiplicably. The longer you play the more wasted time you accumulate through misclick, also if doing anything dangerous it kills you. Second, it really was really touchy with java and other programs, would require a restart. Not entirely the laptop's fault, but the desktop is strong enough not to care. In a game with 4 "ticks" per second, a missed click is like half of second of actions the AI or another person can mess with you in.

Generally, it was bothersome, got me killed several times, probably ate my productivity enough to have leveled me otherwise.

Remember, more recent runescape got lots of updates, and even turning graphics down doesn't run it like classic runescape2. Id run classic runescape2 if I could, with the added content but without the graphics updates at all. I am sure they couldn't keep updating two separate sets of graphics though.
  17. poiuasd

It's not like womens is going to a place where there aren't any surfaces wide enough to fit a laptop and a mouse on it.
    Last edited: August 9, 2013
  18. JammySTB

Implying you can't connect a mouse to a laptop.
  19. tehemopenguin

tehemopenguin Moderator Alumni

A MacBook Air.
    knickles likes this.
  20. poiuasd

reported