List of provided planet names

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by hyperion13, July 7, 2013.

1. hyperion13

hyperion13 New Member

The title says it all. There is no list of all those already provided planet names for PA, neither by the community nor the devs. There are just some threads without specific intention of collecting names.
    If we could collect some of the names, it would be really interesting to see for all of us.

Personally I hope to see some Stargate or ancient greek-type names, like in our own solar system. ;)
  2. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

So no planet named Bacon?
    I'm kinda hoping for a planet Bob like Titan AE....
  3. mylon13

mylon13 New Member

Bacon and Bob are both good names, I would also love Emma and Charlie, as long as we don't get Bob7x-154 I think we'll be fine :ugeek: but names like ImaGod, FuckYou and Aristotelis are fine too. The sheer choice, as long as we don't get duplicates I think we'll be good.
  4. eltro102

eltro102 Member

why not just allow player set names?

edit: oops i forgot naming a planet was a high(er) backer reward
  5. beanspoon

beanspoon Member

I don't know if anyone here will know of/remember a game called Stars, but that one had fantastic planet names. You'd get some which sounded at home in a sci-fi setting (like New Eden), some that were downright silly (like Wammalammadingdong or Speed Bump) and a few that were a little bit rude (like Wanker's Corner). Ah the things you could get away with in the 90s...
  6. muzzledelk

muzzledelk Member

I just want to see a massive pool of completely random player given names, so that names don't cycle over and over again like it does in most other RTS games where there is 'random' naming. I also want to see a planet that is vital to the grand strategy of the universe being named 'Chuggle-Nugget'.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Well that is basically the entire point of it, based solely on the Kickstarter Numbers there is a potential pool of over 3200 names, not including the stuff Uber puts in or any planet names from people who have pre-ordered the edition with that reward as well.

Mike
  8. beanspoon

beanspoon Member

That would be really cool if they just asked everyone with a preorder to submit a single name for a planet which would be assigned randomly - it would be great to come across your planet in a game =D
  9. Consili

Consili Member

I'm still curious regarding a few aspects of naming a planet. I was asked to provide 2 names (one presumably in case the other was taken).

So I'm wondering, which one wound up being used, what happens if both names were taken, will I get an opportunity to pick again? Alternatively if neither name was taken, were they both used?

These of course are curiosities to me rather than a burning question that needs answering. I assume the planet naming will be discussed with backers later when Uber get to implementing all of that in development.
  10. irregularprogramming

irregularprogramming Member

Is there a way to see what name you suggested? I can't remember what I decided on.
  11. dbiton

dbiton Member

I just hope names like XxSwagnolieyYolyxX wont make it in espiecally not any Xboxy names ( FazeThe"cat"Slayer) :lol: i think that with all the names you wull have a better chance of winning the lottary than playing on your planet
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Stuff like this is part of the reasoning behind why it was included in the more expensive tiers, because when money is on the line, you get a great deal fewer "throw-away" names being put in for shits and giggles.

You also get fewer names over all(if it was open to all backers Uber would have 80,000+ names to sort through) which makes it easier to moderate them.

Mike
  13. Consili

Consili Member

I remember it being said that the list of names would be moderated and inappropriate names would be rejected. Which is a good thing even given that the list of planet names isn't likely to be nearly so bad as your typical Xbox live handle.

What is probably more likely is names which are references to planets in favoured sci fi's which may not be able useable due to copy-write infringement.
  14. toren

toren New Member

Where do we provide planet names for those who haven't? I missed that if it's already been posted.
  15. Consili

Consili Member

I seem to recall there being a survey being sent out after the kickstarter which also requested the planet naming suggestions. I actually can't remember with 100% certainty though.

If you are referring to those who pre-ordered through the Uber Store then I'm not at all sure. Either they receive a survey the same as the Kickstarter backers or Uber will ask closer to the time it becomes relevant during development would be my guesses.
  16. toren

toren New Member

Alright I was wondering about this since I hadn't seen much on it. I was one of the Cosmic preorders.
  17. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Both names will be used according to Garat if they are not inappropriate. I'm one of those who opted for planetary naming so I was interested before and that was the answer.
  18. Consili

Consili Member

Thanks for the info! I'd be interested to see if the names I chose were accepted. Or if there will possibly be an opportunity to change them if not (or an opportunity for anyone to change for that matter).
  19. toren

toren New Member

I never received the survey, I don't know when it will be given out to pre-orders but I'm going to continue to wait and hope for it :)