Thanks for letting non-AA shoot air units

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by TastySanchez, August 1, 2013.

1. TastySanchez

TastySanchez New Member

I just wanted to say i'm really happy PA has taken the route of TA and allowed all units to shoot air. It annoys me that so many units in RTS games now just sit there and take a beating from air without even trying to defend themselves.

Non AA units should not be any good at shooting down planes... in fact they should be pretty terrible but I want them to at least try if there is no other option. It just feels fake to me if they don't.

Now if we had a slow gunship/mothership type unit then tanks would be able to hit it because the physics would allow it... i like that idea.

So yeah that's my 2 cents. Thanks for putting that feature in and +1 for keeping it.
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

You are most certainly not the only one who is thankful. ^_^
  3. purecaldari

purecaldari Member

Isn't this more of an "feature incomplete" issue than actually intended? AFAIK this is only in game as long as AA units are not balanced. I would not expect this "feature" to persists for long time. In the last game version tanks could drive underwater which was also a "feature incomplete" implementation and is gone now.
    Makes not much sense that not all air units can attack ground (fighters) but all ground units can shoot back. Also I'm quite sure not every TA unit was AA capable, some yes, but all? AA Arty? Or am I wrong here?
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I fully support OP idea, all units should be able to attack air, even if they super terrible in that.
  5. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Total Annihilation had balanced Anti-Air units and still managed to let ground units have a crack at taking out planes.

I see no issue with "normal" units trying to shoot planes.

In TA, fighter planes could target the ground (though their damage was awful) and I see no issue with that being implemented either.
  6. osirus9

osirus9 Member

I agree 100%

it always seemed so arbitrary that a tank couldn't even try to shoot at a helicopter like 100 yards away just blasting it into rubble. It also always bugged me that fighters couldn't attack ground units... just tilt down! The tank is right there you idiot!
  7. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

While the damage of a single fighter was bad, you could micro a swarm of fighters back instantly after they fired their shots and let them attack a few seconds later again - this multiplied their rate of fire by a HUGE amount and made them pretty imbalanced.
  8. osirus9

osirus9 Member

You could balance that out pretty easily though. reduced RoF, bonus damage vs air, etc.
  9. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

I SERIOUSLY hope this becomes a thing.

I absolutely loved the idea that basically anything can shoot anything. This makes the game so much more in depth. You had artillery and heavy laser towers taking pot shots at gunships and anything flying above slow enough. Aircraft could airstrike units on the ground before they knew what happened.

This is the epitome of a 3d environment.
    All projectiles should be able to hit something that's in the way. This should include all airborne units targeting ground targets, ground units and structures targeting aircraft, and possibly artillery and/or any heavy weaponry and high splash damage doing damage to submarines close to the surface.
  10. thechessknight

thechessknight Member

I agree completely, this is something that i loved about TA that recent renditions have failed to match. Please keep this feature! :)
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I don't mind normal ground units taking crack shots that don't do much against air.

I don't mind air only fighters taking crack shots that don't do much against ground targets.

I don't mind ground units taking ineffective crack shots against orbital ships if the shot's physics allow it to reach the orbital layer.

Hell, I want the game engine to allow you to shoot AT the orbital layer even if the shell has no chance of reaching it anyway, just so you can see for yourself that you can TRY to shoot at it.

At least you get results for trying, your shell doesn't reach and comes back down, instead of being told "but you cant because your a ground unit, its right there but you cant, you just cant".
  12. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

It's a good thing that the ludicrous cornering speed of the Hawk/Vamp hasn't made its way into other games in the 'series.'
  13. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Remember mass Hawks/Vampires? This is the problem, it is completely broken.
    I am glad fighters can't shoot at the ground in SC and PA.
  14. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Yeah, you could snipe Commanders with hawks easily, especially considering that they were stealth planes. Fighters should have an incredible degree of inaccuracy against ground targets, or extraordinarily low damage.
  15. osirus9

osirus9 Member

Again, this wouldn't be hard to balance it out in PA. Back then it was much harder to patch things, so exploits like that could go on for a loooooong time before the devs fixed them (if they ever did at all).
  16. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Clearly the solution against a fast, elusive comm sniping air superiority fighter is to build some kind of air superiority fighter and...

oh. Wait.
  17. mushroomars

You have unbarred the gates of hell and now the demons fly loose.
  18. Nelec

Nelec Member

I like the idea, but at the moment it is seriously broken :s and yes no need to remind me it is alpha.
  19. RCIX

RCIX Member

They always have; I remember this epic moment in a SupCom mission where I was ferrying units across my artillery's line of fire and an artillery shell struck one, bringing it down. My understanding is that (with specific exceptions to make whatever units work without causing hilarious amounts of ally gibs) that Uber plans to do the same.
  20. mushroomars

I can see it now.

Magicka Mod:
    -Weapon Inaccuracy is increased by 10 degrees for ALL WEAPONS, beams are given a 10 degree AoE cone.
    -Missiles have a chance of locking on to friendlies instead of enemies
    -Any friendly fire damage is multiplied by 2
    -AoE deals friendly fire in twice its normal radius, with no falloff.
    +Units can revive one another if the time is right and the moon is full and they FEEL LIKE IT DON'T RUSH ME!