What are bots good for?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by emb4, August 3, 2013.

1. emb4

emb4 Active Member

People either spam tanks Radar and catapults or zerg bomber rush. What advantages do bots have?
    Last edited: August 3, 2013
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

ATM none in particular as been implemented yet, luckily this is only Alpha and Balance and unit selection is far from complete.

Mike
  3. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

from stats they are cheaper and faster, but have a little bit less hp and dps and less range.

i dont know, but i like them somehow.

maybe they will have more use in the future?
    in the trailer you could see only bots using the unit-cannon. maybe its not possible to shoot tanks with it?
    Last edited: August 3, 2013
  4. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

At the moment? Not much. Bots are a lighter, faster version of tanks. Whoopee.

As new mechanics like hover units, jump units, etc. come into play, bots will have far more opportunities to stand apart from tanks. A differing selection of primary roles is all it takes.
  5. WindNinja

WindNinja New Member

They're faster and cheaper than tanks, do the same amount of damage, and have slightly less range. They're good for raiding, and they're good for mass producing (you'll get more damage dealing power for your mass building bots than tanks. Unless your bots all die before they shoot because of the range difference, which is what happens most of the time at the moment.)
  6. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Kicking *** and taking names, duhh.

Bots aren't designed to directly engage enemies, at least not as of the moment. Have them attack curious enemy engineers, act as a garrison and fast response force (though you should just be using tanks and radars), or better yet, sniping Commanders and blowing up power fields.
  7. hygieia

hygieia New Member

I presume they got better now that the tanks got slower?

Haven't been able to play since the last patch without severe lag/stuttering, seems to be bandwidth issues so waiting for that to clear.
  8. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Yeah, they got a lot better. They're more of a unit you want to have now instead of being entirely inferior to tanks.

Tanks with radar and strategy are still better than bots with radar and strategy though. Mostly because tanks are almost immune to Air while Bots are utterly destroyed by Bombers.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I've seen bots used to great effect in raids and flanking.

Hit unguarded economy with them.
  10. emb4

emb4 Active Member

Not only are they destroyed by bombers, but non aa tanks shoot air while bots dont.

The tier one anti land are painfully weak for what you get. You would think you would be able to pump those babies out for such a weak unit but not really. I find the tier 2 bots to be good because you can have them out at a time when people are still building ants but they still fall behind fast. Also there is no tier 2 anti air which means if you want a bot focus you need to build the tier one anti air which is very weak
  11. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

I. Asked this during the livestream, they aren't fully working yet but the intention is for them to excel in tight areas, caverns mountains and what not. they should be able to out flank tanks there)
  12. fouquet

fouquet Active Member

one thing i would be interested in seeing (probably after inital release in a dlc or mod) is a open/rough terrain system where track units are very fast on open terrain and very slow on rough terrain and bots a medium speed in all terrains with only slight variations.

this way there would be clear regions where bots have a mobility advantage/disadvantage and would add more strategic areas to the map.

on a side note

i would love for this ta/supcam style projectile physics gameplay to get a full dynamic complex terrain system down the road where the details in the terrains each affect and modify the movement speed and mobility of units. it would require some slightly more complex planet painting possibly with planet layers that can be exposed by planet damage.
  13. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

From what I've seen bots are actually way more viable now. Also tanks can barely shoot at bombers because of slow turn rate now. Remember bots can dodge all attacks by moving perpendicular to incoming fire.
  14. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Absolutely nothing! *Edwin Starr's singing voice*

Bots are great cause of their speed and price. You might terminate the simulation if you make too many though.
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Bots are the new cavalry, masters of flanking.