Economic Game Modes

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by vanteo, August 1, 2013.

?

Fixed Income Game Mode Option?

1. Yes (the more options the merrier)

22 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. No (leave stuff like this to the modders)

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. vanteo

vanteo New Member

I'm sure the economy will continue to be tweaked here and there as we progress through the rest of alpha and beta development. Also I am sure that there will be further development of games modes with different victory conditions. I realize it is a bit early to request something like the but I wanted to open it up for discussion and see what the community (and Uber devs) thought of this simple tweak of the game. This would be an economic game mode and you would be able to select the victory conditions independently.

The economic game mode would be Fixed Income. Key points:
    - Fixed energy income
    - Fixed metal income
    - No economic builds would be available to build except storage.

If you set the income limits to something that could support say 6 factories and 2 fabers then the main advantages I see is that this will force players to be more tactful with their production (less unit spaming or any type assuming the game balance holds). The main disadvantages I see is that will probably encourage turtling and 90% of the players in this game don't need more encouragement to turtle. Although I suppose that if you set the fixed limit high enough it would bassicly be unlimited resources, and turn into a game of who can click the fastest :)

I think these would be interesting ways to play (at least once) and again I don't expect this to be the "standard" game I just think it would be an interesting and easy to implement option. Moreover I think it is a small enough change to be in the core game, but I can also see how this could be a very simple mod also.
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

This is what the modding community is for.

No need to discuss with people when you can just make it yourself.
  3. yagle

yagle New Member

Kinda rude statement. This is a forum. If someone wants to share his ideas about game modes, let him. As I understand him, he just wants to start a discussion about the "fixed income"-economy in general and what other people think about it.

Sounds like an interesting idea. It basically removes the whole "run for the metal spots"-game and leaves the strategic building and fighting to something like: Who can use his given ressources more efficient to kill everyone else?
    Uber already said, that they will implement multiple gamemodes. If your suggestion won't make it, some modder will put it in for sure ;)
  4. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Or Uber could spend a small amount of time to add a gamemode everyone can play and enjoy rather than one that is never played because you need the mod.

I like this idea.
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I disagree - it's not to my taste but that doesn't mean these sorts of things shouldn't be discussed!

That's what the forums are for after all - suggestions!

At least it was eloquently explained rather than 'uber pls implement k thx' ;)
  6. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

This is one of those "Why the hell not?" Kind of things. It would take 10-20 minutes max to program in, and add some variety to the alpha and beta.
  7. AfailingHORSE

AfailingHORSE Member

While I would never play it, I can not see a reason to not add it.
  8. ryanx1n

ryanx1n Member

Can we have an option in the poll for separate build time, metal and energy costs for each unit.

I'm not a big fan of the resource spend being strictly proportional to the number of factory fabs, independent of what they are building.
  9. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

How much energy, how much metal?

Too little, and games become slow and boring. Too much, and you don't have to worry about budgetting - you just spam tanks and win. And then, when a new patch comes out, will the numbers need to be tweaked again?

Sure it'd only take 20 minutes to make the gamemode, but it's going to take a heck of a lot longer to balance it. Fine tuning takes time. Do you want Uber to allocate money to twiddling two numbers that only some people are ever going to use?
  10. vanteo

vanteo New Member

Well I assume that the units would be balanced against each other already that is not part of this option. It wouldn't effect the cost or effectiveness of any unit. All this would do is ensure that each player had the same resources it would be a game of who can use their resources more effectively.
    As far as the exact amount of resources you get per minutes why not a slider, have the host pick before creation or allow it to be set in the lobby before the game launches. I think the exact amount you want depends on how big of a game you are playing. One small moon few resources on the other hand 8 planet system with 12 moons would need a lot.
  11. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

I personally hope for a mode. where you drain resources, might even show on the planet, that you are draining it for energy and metal.

I hope this at least gets made by modders.

Im sure how else they will handle the galactic war uber, because when you have your own planet, you basically have UNLIMITED resources.

Not sure how they will make galactic war feel awesome, if you have unlimited resources. That doesnt feel fun to me at least.

One thing pretty much all RTS have in common is that you better hurry up before you run out of resources.

I mean at the very least you could go like say Metal gets drained and runs out, then you could slowly and expensively convert energi into metal but it would just be as absolute emergency
  12. yagle

yagle New Member

Or you could just let the players/host decide the amount of ressources?
  13. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Keep it simple stupids. Yagle is smart man.
  14. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Winnie the Pooh was always a great source of simple thoughts.
  15. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

TA had a very easy handicap system. The weaker player is given more starting resources, thus they can do more stuff. Pretty simple.
  16. vanteo

vanteo New Member

it looks like there is a handicap system already built in just not enabled. Under each name it has starting metal and energy as well a rate.
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'm not against this as an option, however the game option I find can be more interesting is the 'limited unit cap' approach which is something I've done a few times on Spring.

Playing a game on a metal map with a very low unit cap (say 30) is like chess. You get a limited time to come up with a specific play- use your units for resources and make something heavy, use the minimum resource structures and rush tanks, or bombers? Maybe make 1 nuke, do you make an anti or not?

It's quite a challenge so personally I'd like them to have an adjustable unit cap in games for this reason (it may also be a good idea to limit max units for people with weaker machines!)...
  18. vanteo

vanteo New Member

Yeah I know one of the things Uber has said is there there are no arbitrary unit caps so you can "play the game you want". So I don't think it will be the standard. That said I don't think this option will become standard. and I agree the option of unit caps seems like a simple option to add.
    For some reason this leads me to thinking about reclaiming damaged units and how cool it would be to reclaim the 50 bombers that failed their snipe attempt and to send them right back at the enemy.
  19. Gunman006

Gunman006 Member

Tactics in RTS is generally only micro, at least thats how i interpret this game mode where every tank is precious and you would end up with a game looking more like starcraft with focus on resource loss/destroyed ratio. Which is fun in itself but that is not the game "Jon Mavor" wants to make and that is not what the kickstarter was about.

So in my opinion the devs should focus on the game they pitched first, deliver that product as awesome as they can make it from day one, and after that start adding new game modes if there is demand for it.

Personally my preferred level of micro is pressing "A" in the enemy base and leave it at that.