My comp can't load the game

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bribrick, July 31, 2013.

1. bribrick

bribrick New Member

I tried to play my first game of PA earlier and my comp couldn't load the beginning of the game. So sorry to Crystaline109 and Gorthen45 who I tried to play before and randomly quit.

Looks like I spent $70 on a game I can't play :(

Anyone know if I can get a refund? lol
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Any error messages?

A detailed description on what precisely happened?

Can you attach a DxDiag report to your post?

Errors are rather common in an alpha. There's still plenty of bugs to squash and wrinkles to iron-out.

Few here are going to give you sympathy unless you do something to help yourself.
  3. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

I'm not sure how can you expect anyone to help you out if you don't give enough information. You can't just roll over and die cause you have a problem playing an Alpha game.

Give us info that BM requested and we'll try to help you out
  4. bribrick

bribrick New Member

I wasn't looking for sympathy and I don't know what a DxDiag Report is, I just wanted to apologize to those that I tried to play.

And I really don't think it had anything to do with PA, it's my comp; I use a 2008 macbook. I went into the lobby, joined a game, and when the game started to load, nothing really happened. I was able to get the other players chat messages, but visually, the planet never showed up.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Do you run game on OS X or on Windows via bootcamp?

If you run it Windows please check my signature and upload DxDiag.txt as attachment to your post.

If you run game on OS X please check what exactly model of Macbook do you have:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1635
    And post model information here.
  6. bribrick

bribrick New Member

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Intel GMA X3100 144 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

weird, you should be able to run it.

EDIT: wait no
    you only have 2gigs of ram, you need 4.

And anyhow those clocks and specs are terrible all-round.
  8. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Well its a mac.....
    What did you believe? :lol: (No offense to Apple btw.)

Any chance you can buy a new System? Upgrading your Mac is (I dont know) not possible and not recommended.
  9. bribrick

bribrick New Member

Thanks for the help guys.

Looks like i'll be waiting 'til I can buy a new laptop.

But the game streams look amazing even if i cant play lol
  10. paranioa

paranioa New Member

I know this is a late reply but if you take your make to a computer shop like PC world or Currys they could probably put 2 extra GB's of ram in there. :)
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Yes it's possible, but there is no point in doing so because his graphics card is too old and slow. Even with more RAM game won't work on this hardware properly.

Also I doubt it will ever run on this integrated GPU because Intel GMA X3100 doesn't have OpenGL 3.x support which PA require to work (on Windows at least).
  12. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

With these System-specs you should be fine for at least minimum (With what i heard so far)

Dua Core (2,8-3,4 Ghz) (A Quad Core with at least 2,8Ghz Would be better I think)
    6gb DDR3 Ram
    A GTX 5XX-6XX Graphics card
    500-1000gb Sata3 Diskpace

If I´m wrong, please feel free to correct me!
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Game actually can work on computer with much slower hardware, but old Intel graphics (not integrated with CPU) are very bad for any games. And Intel drivers for Mac are really bad, they sometimes up to 2X times slower than for Windows.
  14. mrtwazel

mrtwazel New Member

im experiencing the same problem £53 down the drain with my problem load up the game within 2 mins runtime error

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!

Program: ...m\steamapps\common\planetary
    Annihilation\bin_x86\pa.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information

I really want this fixed so my fund saves were not for a broken game if any one has had this problem and fixed it please do let me know thanks.
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Please attach your DxDiag.txt
  16. mrtwazel

mrtwazel New Member

here hope I can fix this cursed thing

Attached Files:

17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I don't sure if it's directly related to your problem, but why are you using 32-bit operation system?
    It's really limit your hardware performance, e.g you have 8GB of RAM and only able to use 3.5GB, less than half.
    If you run Planetary Annihilation it's only able to use 2.5-3GB of RAM and it's might be reason of crash.

So I really recommend you upgrade to 64-bit Windows because there is no reason to use 32-bit OS on such powerful hardware.
  18. mrtwazel

mrtwazel New Member

thanks I will have to reinstall windows on 64 bit then se if it helps thanks for advice
  19. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Getting your machine up to 64 bit is advisable, regardless, but it still doesn't explain why you are unable to play. Your machine specs should be quite capable of playing the game.

However, given the error, I would recommend making sure the Microsoft Visual C++ Redist (2008) are up to date on your machine. That's unusual to get the error, as a large number of games have that as a pre-req, but it is of course possible. :)