Rediculous stutter

Discussion in 'Support!' started by archnemesis, July 30, 2013.

1. archnemesis

archnemesis New Member

Hi guys,
    Before reporting a bug, I wanted to work out if this is perhaps something old and already has a fix, since I only got into PA yesterday.

Anyways what is happening is that after say ~15 minutes of gameplay, it starts with this whole units jumping around thing, then the game will appear to lockup for a bit, then it's as if it re-syncs and continues on it's incredibly stuttery way.

Now I'm assuming it isn't due to poor hardware since I have a 3570k, 8GB ram and a pair of 7950's (although since the game doesn't run fullscreen it only uses 1.)

This happens in both singleplayer (custom game with 1 AI) or multiplayer.

It is unplayable once it starts doing this, which is really annoying 'cause I can't seem to pass the first phases of the game, therefore I can't really give constructive feedback on the game at all.

Do not however, using the instant-replay function in the game it runs perfectly smoothly, so it is only the real-time game that is affected.

Thanks everyone :)

-Adam.
  2. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Get the latest video drivers and turn off shadows in the game settings. This should help quite a lot.

It won't fix it completely though, we're still in alpha and there's a lot of optimisation work to do.

EDIT: Also check out some YouTube videos if you want to compare your experience with other peoples to see what you can expect.
    Last edited: July 30, 2013
  3. archnemesis

archnemesis New Member

I have the latest drivers. But I will try it with the shadows disabled. It doesn't appear to be a framerate issue, it seems to be a stops rendering at all issue.
  4. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

You replied faster than my edit above. But yeah, checkout YouTube if you want to see what kind of performance to expect.
  5. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Then most likely its a network issue. If you have a bad wifi or other connection issues it could explain that, as PA in its current alpha state is very bandwith dependent.
  6. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I was about to suggest network congestion too.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

There currently no offline singe player, so even if you play with AI it's always run on remote server.
    Yesterday I posted some bandwidth info on reddit:
    If you have less than 3-4mbps download game will be choppy and it's not rendering problem.
  8. randathamane

randathamane New Member

I'm getting the same thing too. The game starts out fluent and works fine, but gets slower and choppier as time elapses to the point where, after about 45 mins it becomes unplayable. Graphics options are not the issue, nor is it my Broadband connection (game worked fine on the last build, no issues).

Possibly it is down to networking or bandwidth, something that will have to be addressed if the game is going to be vastly marketable.

It's important to remember that the game is still alpha and it's unlikely that the Dev's have had time for any optimization or streamlining to be put in yet. As such, bear with it. It didn't happen last patch and has only started on V 0.51118 so it will be cleared up eventually.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Garat(I think) did mention that right now the bandwidth is a bottleneck, but that they also have all kinds of optimizations they haven't done yet as well.

Mike
  10. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

The current servers are deliberately limited on their outgoing bandwidth, at least partly so that networking issues are exaggerated and people are more likely to find and report them. Some of the lagging issues may just be the game has got so big that the server doesn't have enough bandwidth to properly update all clients, as well as possible issues with the incoming bandwidth for particular clients.

Also one minor point, the current versioning is apparently done by internal commit number, so it is not version zero point anything. 51118 is an integer number that will only get bigger, and will at some point get to 100000... at that point (unless Uber change their numbering method in between) you'll go from calling it v0.99847 to the later v0.100031 and people are going to get pretty confused ;)
  11. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Sounds like a perfectly normal game to me. If you let a game get to 45!! minutes long then you probably have tons of units all over the place which would usually produce that sort of lag.
  12. archnemesis

archnemesis New Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help so far.

Strangely enough I just finished playing a longish game, just over half an hour with 4 human players and it was smooth as. We populated well over half the planet at one stage and it was running really well. So I'm guessing it may be server side.
    My desktop is directly hooked up to my modem and I get 8 down 1 up. Not the greatest but it copes. When I play games I run no other network intensive programs in the background.

I don't have wifi either, it is literally an ADSL 2 modem, no integrated switch at all.

I'm just going to put it down to Alpha blues, since it seems to be sporadic.

On a quick sude note does anyone know how to get the teir 2 artillery to actually fire? I built 4, none would respond to commands. One of them randomly fired 2 shots then stopped and there were many enemy targets in range.

Thanks again for the help guys.
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

No way! I don't want it happen, ever.

Commit number it's the best way to do things, and if commit log will be included one day it's give much more information than marketing v1.1 v1.9001 v2.04 crap. :roll: