Remove commander Sniping

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ohhhshiny, July 28, 2013.

1. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Stream those games please, Cola? :D
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I will be in the irc ready to play in roughly 30 minutes. I'd be happy to play you then.
  3. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

which IRC Channel?
  4. cola_colin

#planetaryannihilation on the irc.esper.net
  5. thekiller666

thekiller666 Active Member

The Match is done, I recorded it from a spectator view.

Expect the video to be up tomorrow.

SPOILERS:
    The snipe wasn't successful.
  6. cola_colin

7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wow this is over
  8. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Well that was entertaining. Just a hunch, Cola, but I'm guessing you are waiting for the "repeat build" button to be implemented on factories, right?
  9. cola_colin

by now holding the hotkey + shift works pretty well, but yeah.
    That + better mex positions.
  10. thekiller666

thekiller666 Active Member

11. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Tanks OP! They shouldn't have been able to shoot down those bombers like that! (seriously). I'm sure there's a dicussion about this somewhere I've missed, and I'd like to read it. Anyone care to point me in the right direction? I'm having a bit of a search issue

12. sneakyness

sneakyness Member

Lol if you think that's bad, you should see what happens when a group of T2 artillery bots accidentally shoot up into a stream of super-stacked T1 fighters patrolling around an AI base. Everything stopped for a second, then there are like 500 plane scraps on the ground :lol:
  13. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Did you try alternate wordings? "Tank Anti Air" works just fine.

Anyways, a lot of people really want units to be able to target any kind of unit.

Mike
  14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

i wouldn't mind this if there was some form of natural weakness for certain units. Not armor types, but maybe shells commonly missing from tanks to air.
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Well that's the kind of thing that's basically 'built-in' to a simulated system, an example is something like Air units are fast to the point where a Tank Can't track it fast enough. Another is that tanks just can't aim up(pitch) enough to reliably target air units.

There are a few different options, but you need to be careful because they can have effects on things beyond just how Tanks interact with air units.

Mike
  16. randathamane

randathamane New Member

ah the old commander sniping issue...

yes it is a shame and yes it is the recourse of those with no imagination (and yes it is annoying), but at the end of the day it is a legitimate tactic, built on the game mechanics that is open to everyone. The commander is the kingpin of your army and why would you not send in a hard hitting, fast aerial unit to decapitate the enemy when you had the chance? If this is such a hot topic, perhaps development could bring in some sort of Tier 2 Anti- aircraft missile launcher?

It can be avoided as many have suggested already- Fighters on patrol, buildings to defend etc. At the end of the day it is up to YOU to defend YOUR commander.

On a personal note, i don't commander snipe people unless they try it on my commander first. I'm after skilled games where i can out maneuver, out wit or be out maneuvered or out witted (the latter being far easier than the former... DERP!) But even when a snipe does come in and even if I'm not prepared for it, you've just got to chalk it up to experience and make sure it doesn't happen again.

In short
    Know it will happen.
    Be prepared for it to happen.
    Defend against it.
    if you're eliminated because of it, move onto another game.
  17. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

No imagination?
    :|
  18. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

tanks should not be able to shoot air. it detracts from gameplay and stops me from needing to build any spinners.
  19. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Arbitrary restrictions.

... yay ...

:|
  20. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

Tanks will eventually not be able to shoot air just like AA turrets won't be able to shoot ground. Those mechanics just are not in yet. It falls into the same target priority that has people constantly bitching about walls. Patience people.... this is alpha =)