For Backers Only: Metal Planet

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, July 24, 2013.

1. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Duuuuuude that would be AWESOME. KOTH like that on *any* planet would be awesome.

Uber can we has?
  2. Ralith

Ralith Member

Alternate gamemodes like KOTH are a good target for mods, I think.

What I'd like to see on metal planets is platforms/canyons with ramps that you can actually get ground units over, so we can finally have some interesting elevation difference dynamics going on.
  3. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

You mean akin to the.. in essence 'man-made' structures of the official and fan created metal planets on TA? Hell yes.

Some of them had building-esque structures like Block Wars, as well as a lot of the campaign maps on Core Prime. I'd like to see way more of this, and I can see the metal maps have some type of addition that looks like it's going to be just this.

But I'd like to see maps where the metal has possibly eroded away. You could get portions of maps that are melted walls that your units could drive up, or end up with relatively rolling hills and mountain-type features. Building on such a bumpy surface would be difficult, though no?

I've always loved the whole terrain realistically affects everything because you have those lava planets like Lava Highground that was a simple theoretical King of the Hill map, but the bases had major terrain bumps that made thinking-through building placement absolutely essential. I severely hope we don't lose this part of the game when PA comes to completion. It really was something that made TA so immersive.
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

One massive change PA will allow is over/under topologies; because it's not height map based, you aren't limited to a single height "level" at any given point on the map, and as I understand it, bridges, overpasses and multi-level terrain features are all possible.

I'm not a modeller really, so I'm hoping someone makes a city biome with skyscrapers, multi-level structures, highway overpasses to fight amongst, on and over.
  5. doxbox

doxbox Member

You make me envision a "Deathmatch" mode. Sort of a rolling deathmatch; join or leave at will, game stays active with a minimum number of players still alive, then it becomes closed to new players until it ends. I think the idea has merit. You can spawn in with your commander in some isolated part of the globe, and challenge the powers that be. Perhaps a limited sort of respawn; 5 minutes after you are defeated you get a new commander. Can be a lobby option to allow teams up to a certain size to be created as enough people join to fill a team.

Definitely some merit to the idea.
  6. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

*raises hand*

At least one, maybe three. I want to reenact that massive Coalition vs. Seraphim battle at Forged Alliance trailer, with air units flying underneath and battles going on on all layers of the city.

Necromunda is a good example of the kind of geometry I'd like to see. But, you know, with less rabid space-marine-esque gansters and more stompy bots.
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Awesome :D
  8. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Do you have a link for the FA trailer you speak of? I can only find one without any type of city layers whatsoever.

Also, dat cityscape. I think it should be a bit more spread out than that. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to see all the levels and know what's going on. Perhaps once we get the unit AIs later, we probably COULD send them through those very tight and hard-to-view areas like parking garage-esque maps. I look forward to your progress, nonetheless.

Edit :
    Doood. I love that idea. I think it will very easily blend in with the full-shared team mode. I can see extremely competitive games played with good teamwork happening there.
  9. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

A note on my KOTH reference,
    I am referring to this not as a game mode but really a scenario that would just manifest itself when given the conditions of dealing with conquering metal planets. It would require a great deal of effort to begin a campaign to take one of these.
    This is not some sort of situation where the game flags "KING OF THE HILL MOOOODE" and you play.
    This is just a natural scenario, there is no hill or points or anything, this is plainly the inevitable playstyle that would come out of taking a metal planet and holding it when multiple players attempt to take or thwart efforts of thers taking the metal planet.

No mods needed, this battle would be happening while you are still dealing with other planets. It would just "feel" like king of the hill.

Love the idea of a commander needed to activate it. The greater risk factor of baiting a commander and taking him out on arrival.
  10. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

11. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

You probably couldn't find it because it's the second part of the opening cinematic.