Why (and how) walls need to be fixed

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by dbiton, July 29, 2013.

1. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Walls got all reason to be here only to stop or confuse units.
    But units must be alowed to pass them quite easly,and shoot the targets without touch walls.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Walls are obviously just unfinished. Look at how walls work in FA or TA. They are fine as soon as you have a target priority system. Ofc they either need to block shots in both directions or not block them at all.
  3. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

Walls are too strong right now, but they will get weaker when the aiming sys works
    Last edited: July 30, 2013
  4. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

EDIT: Aww, the pic isn't in the quote.

See that side without walls? Go around?! And really that stopped your tanks? I've had tanks break through more beef'ed up walls with turrets behind them, missile launchers, and way more than 2 measly catapults (one guy had over 12 catapults behind his wall!) With a large enough army of tanks and bombers that "defense" would fall even if it was surrounding his whole base.
  5. piquedram

piquedram New Member

Why is everyone so opposed to turtle gameplay though? If he wants to wall in a tiny base, you have 90% of the planetary resources, and should easily be able to out spam him with T2 mobile artillery, catapults, or stationary artillery. If you allow somebody to wall in a huge base, you have given him too much time to build and do not deserve to win. Why should tank spam be the only viable tactic? "I had to snipe to end the game" poor you, you had all the resources on the planet and were forced to change tactics against a successful defense...

I do agree that walls should block all fire crossing them, friend or foe. Towers stand above the walls though, so mostly would fire over the top.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

7. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Protip, when you can't read, don't make posts.

As the op had said:

So, no backdoor there...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As for the topic, walls are pretty unbalanced atm 'cause of the missing target priority system. Everybody in this thread who disagrees with that doesn't understand the power of a dedicated wall spammer.

A well fortified base (and base in my case means covering a third of the planet, so noway to outexpand it...) with dozens of engineers that spam walls is literally impossible to break through with ground forces as it doesn't matter how much micro you use, the defense of the other side of the wall in form of levelers, lobbers, tml, etc. will break your attacking artillery down faster then you can kill the ever replaced walls.

Bombers on the other hand work well but if you have enough bombers to break through that you can as well snipe the enemies commander.
  8. dbiton

dbiton Member

Well, T2 arty is a mighty solution, i will use it next time.
    oh wait what do you say?
    THE ARTY ONLY BLOWS UP THE WALLS AND HES T2 ARTY BLOWS THE **** OUT OF ME?
    well darn it

Im also on the other side of the planet, i could build stationary ranged, but he got T2 ARTY
    so if i don't want to wait for a millennium for the nukes to kill him, yeah...

anyway, the problem discussed is the walls, and not my poor strategies.
    *excuses*

you did it! you won!, Cookies for you! and cakes! and ladies! only that the picture is an early scouting, and the guy had walls ALL around his base, and Arty, i do get your point though.

now, what to do with the walls?
  9. RainbowDashPwny

Well aren't we the mature one. :lol:
  10. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yes walls are kinda screwy. As has been said it's because all of the mechanics are not working well together yet. Not sure what else I can say besides "game not done" ;)
  11. RainbowDashPwny

+1, half of the threads on hear boil down to "its alpha", but no one seems to understand that. I guess that is why they play the games while you guys make them! :lol:

P.S - Totally hire Nick B, he is an awesome dev who is passionate about making games. I recently played some PA with him thanks to you. :D
  12. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Hmm...

>Hasn't seen Neutrino on forums in a few days, I think over a week now
    >Neutrino suddenly starts posting a lot the day before the livestream
    >Livestream announced days in advance

I smell a patch. Like, a really, really big patch. With lots of explosions and rockets and SWOOSH SWOOSH PEW BOOM KAPLOOEY POW POW!

#excited
  13. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

>Uber confirms they will add hats in the next patch.
  14. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

NOOOO! NOT THE GODDAMN HATS!

I swear that if valve had never got distracted by hats, we would have Halflife 2 Episode 3 by now.
  15. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Mike! Where's that glorious picture of an ACU with hat and monacle you drew?

Edit: found! http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g281/ ... TOPHAT.jpg
  16. Nasher

Nasher New Member

I think they will be fine once we get more units and orbital stuff etc.

Also, why didn't you just go around them? o_O
  17. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

How do you go around in circle on a flat plane? (Flat in first aproximation.)

Remember you're limited to euclidian geometry.