[mod] Darker Nights - tiny shaders modification

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by SXX, June 9, 2013.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Genius!

Looks so much better than the original

And who needs a visual representation of FOW.

I have a great idea for the FOW shader : to only draw a contour in a bright coulour like red

Other than that i love it! ( It makes the build goo shine sooooo bright :D)
    Last edited: June 25, 2013
  2. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

Black team color is now OP. :p
    embox and knickles like this.
  3. veta

veta Active Member

you joke but I bet it'll come up on the forums if we get more dynamic day-night x)
    Last edited: August 10, 2013
  4. tatsujb

5. bbf

bbf New Member

I thought the game was using deferred rendering... or am I tripping? I've been tracking so many kickstarter/games lately that everything is becoming a blur.
  6. tatsujb

Is work on this mod still going? I'd like a new version that works with the recolour mod and also with shadows and rocks.
  7. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for this too...
  8. dbiton

dbiton Member

does it still works on current build?
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's just shaders, if you install older one you won't get any problems, you just will see older version of shaders.
    So yeah, it's need to be updated to work correctly.

I stopped working on lighting modification because headlights autoreload was broken (FS#844 FS#845), and in newer builds there is no auto reload for shaders too. I can work on lighting with ApiTrace, but it's not really comfortable way for mods, so I prefer wait before modding support get more love from Uber. ;)

Back to June it's just was too early for mods such this.
  10. dbiton

dbiton Member

hope it will be added because the nights are like morning (<-- grammar)
  11. tatsujb

12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'm will be happy to spend more time on lighting when Uber will start to fix modding-related issues, I explained it's on previous page (message link).

Lighting a bit broken on Intel HD (It's only machine I have Windows on) and on Linux there is no auto reload for game content yet. Testing of changes it's just pain in the *** too because there is no way to test things without starting new game with AI, again and again.

Actually if you just want to have some basic shader changes I can make these changes for you, but actually I want to have more complete lighting include units headlights and other effects.
  13. tatsujb

yes but that's how I work it out. I launch ai matches over and over again, trust me i had to do that butloads for the megapack (especially when trying to intergrate hotbuild)

In particular I was hoping you could update the no FOW which now makes a darker area where your line of sight is and also make trees rocks and mass points recieve the same treatment as the terrain *ducks as cathodes screens, keyboards, a subwoofer, a desk clock and speakers come hurling at my face*

Pretty please?

I'll do it if you show me exactly how you did it.

also did 51853 fix headlights ?
  14. Baleur

Baleur Member

Well since he doesnt do it out of principle, i went ahead and did it. Enjoy. The game is much much better without FOW. You dont lose much either, because you have radar anyway to give you the pips (and if you dont have radar youre in trouble anyway). Where theres pips, theres FOW, its just as intuitive ingame as having a gray blanket over the map, i found it no harder to play.

Attached Files:

SXX likes this.
  15. Frenotx

Frenotx New Member

I tried to give this a go, but the files seem to have no effect. Any suggestions?

Edit: Upon further review, the FoW has been removed, but the nights are not darker.
  16. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

I would like to report a very very weird bug... like anything you have ever seen before... @SXX @bgolus
    Apparently, the very same planet, can be generated with different LAYOUTS whether you have darker nights on or off
    see the screenshots below

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When you host a game, it will generate the version you see in the mod-off
    but having two different preview is really weird
  17. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Darker nights is an antiquated mod from a year ago.

I believe you are thinking of Dark Nights, which was made by me (although I basically did nothing other than following the instructions of bgolus)

Dark nights shadows some json files which might have changed since the mod was made. The server won't care and the mod won't affect server side planet generation nor how the planet appears in-game.

I'll look into pushing a fix.