Remove commander Sniping

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ohhhshiny, July 28, 2013.

1. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

I dont know why theres a Commander-setting at all, but comm sniping leads to hours of gaming into someone hiding 3 t2 air factories, even if they are losing on the °$°"§$°"§ whole map it doesnt matter, because enough air just finds and kills your commander anyway.

Thats no fckin fun, and happened already like 3 games in a row. This will probably the reason why i will not play PA at all, because i see no reason in playing hours "skillful", when i could go for commsniping straight from the beginning and win anyway no matter what my enemy does.
  2. legitlobster

legitlobster Member

You are bad.
  3. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

You are already wrong because is singlehandedly just won a 2v2v2v2v2, only the last remaining enemy won because of comm sniping, even though his bases were down already. and this happens again and again. And again. Aaaaand again.
  4. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

scout and build hummingbirds to defend. keep your commander in the "bossom of your base" surrounded by buildings.
  5. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Aww, clopse, you remembered!

He's right though, late game, put your Commander smack in the middle of your base, sandwiched between 2 or 3 T2 Factories, with AA Towers and Hummers all around. If you really do need to run away, you can just self-destruct the T2 Factories and Air Towers and leg it.
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Also don't forget that eventually, the Commander will be your primary tool for expansion to other planets, it's hard to Commsnipe when the Commander is on another planet.

Mike
  7. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

The game's major goal is to kill the enemy Commander. Things would be pretty stupid if you couldn't kill it.

While it makes sense for the Comm to be primarily used to expand, the mechanics for that don't exist yet.
  8. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

I love this sentence. :mrgreen:

So you won the match but... you didn't won because somebody else was better then you and won. But you would have totally won if it wouldn't have been for those meddling kidds. :evil:
  9. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

I don't think a commander is vital for this game to work. As in each player could start the game with a worker (perhaps more BP than a normal worker) and the objective is to kill all enemy units (in reality people would resign before this point). I think the resulting game could be balanced, good and recognizably TA inspired.

In other words it seems to me that the idea of a strong commander is sacred and not to be questioned. This can work but it would be nice to try a new approach.
  10. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

hahahaha this is amazing. +1
  11. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

T2 AA towers will make comm sniping way harder. :p
  12. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

this game will have different modes, you could play annihilation rather than assassination game types, in the final product.
  13. impend1ngdoom

impend1ngdoom Member

indeed. played this gentlemen earlier today. Game never would have ended if com wasnt "snipe"-able.
  14. sneakyness

sneakyness Member

This. Get some T1 fighters, have them follow your com. Here's a tissue
  15. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

16. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

I like those "get better stop whining" posts, because they just show how blind people can become. Everyone who says the worse player should still win after loosing 3 bases and couple armies without dealing any dmg seriously needs to rethink his position.

Well, UBER say they dont strife for realism but for awesomeness. Well, i actually cant see any awesomeness in building 50 t1 bomber and suiciding em for killing one target.

Alright, heres another alternative: Give us motherfckin shields. ANYTHING to protect our commander from being cheesed.

There is not a single reason to give a loosing player the possibility to win the game in 5 minutes. Actually, this is against any reasoning. You fight for hours and lose because of some buildings a loosing player hid somewhere?
    Well, guess what, that doesnt even comes close to anything strategy related, but exploiting weak mechanics of the game.
  17. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

You are really bad.

You are aware that the only thing that matters in TA-like games is your Commander, right?
    You do know that the only thing that matters is killing his one before he kills yours, right?
    You do realise that "bases" are only a means to acquire the units needed to snipe the enemy Commander, right?

You do realise that, don't you?
    Last edited: July 28, 2013
  18. KNight

KNight Post Master General

How about we talk about what WILL happen instead of whining?

The Commander WILL be a powerful tool for expansion to new planets, moons and asteroids. This not only expands your territory, but also makes him safe!

Until that gets implemented in game there isn't any point in trying to "solve" this "issue".

The Alpha is for testing, not playing.

Mike
  19. impend1ngdoom

impend1ngdoom Member

FIGHTER AIRCRAFT. In the world of airpower they are beyond OP but since you and everyone else are too busy building tanks to notice air power is a thing in this game...

EDIT: that is until it (it being airpower) kills your comm due to your negligence. and then you come here. One day they will remove tanks super AA capabilities and then you all will have to build air power and this wont be a problem anymore
    Last edited: July 28, 2013
  20. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

The game isn't finished yet. Tactics that currently win matches will quite possibly be useless once the game is finally released.

To say you will likely never play the game once fully available, due to it's exploitabilities in it's current unfinished form is ridiculous.

You've invested in the product. Either wait until the game is released, or come back every couple of weeks to see if the game is more to your liking as patches and ugrades are introduced.

Or play solo.

Good luck with asking for shields....