More hitpoints overall?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sput42, July 8, 2013.

1. veta

veta Active Member

my sentiment is the same. i disagree with irregularprogramming and i'll try to explain why. PA in its current state, balanced or not, isn't much of a strategy game. it is an exercise in execution. i would like to hone my PA skills but I can't justify playing right now for the lack of balance. an astute player will point out that the game IS balanced since we all have the same tools at our disposal and i don't disagree. when i say balanced however what i mean is an engaging interplay between different units, dynamic gameplay and interesting mechanics. PA is actually almost there, it has a interesting foundation in 3D map geometry but it still lacks engaging unit interaction and dynamic gameplay. with that in mind, it's intrinsically more difficult for unit interactions to be engaging and gameplay to be dynamic when battles are over in seconds.

I guess what I would like is for PA to be a game of ingenuity, for players to have many viable options and not to be harshly punished for minor lapses in attention. i have found that when units die relatively quickly, as they do in starcraft 2 or DOTA, the game becomes much more about technical prowess than strategic ingenuity. there is certainly merit to the former but when i buy a strategy game i am hoping for the latter.
  2. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I agree with you Veta, the only real practice of strategy is where you send your units and how you focus your resources. Aside from that it's remembering to build more factories, Mexes, T2 Bombers and the ever-important Levlar.
  3. beanspoon

beanspoon Member

Thank you both - this is exactly what I was trying to get across in my posts on this topic. You can't have interplay between different units if they all blow up in half a second.
  4. zplinter

zplinter New Member

I first played PA yesterday, and got meet by one hitting nearly everything. You want to watch the battle and be able to send in backup or run back for cover if ur overwelmed. With everything getting 1 or 2 hitted and even commander dying by 4 flying bombers. The hitpoints needs an increase badly. This game has good very good potential, why not let the gamers and the people helping to find out bugs and stuff enjoy the game. And when everything gets harder to kill maybe we will find out more what needs to be fixed. Starting a fight and not beeing able to notice whats happening before its over is very hard to find out what went wrong and what went right.
  5. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

I also think units have to be a little tougher.
  6. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Nor should it
  7. zplinter

zplinter New Member

lol? you should allways have the advantage if you come from behind.
  8. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

That already happens. Attacking from behind gives you the first shot at the fragile support units, such as artillery and AA.
  9. wilhelmvx

wilhelmvx Member

While I agree with the Idea to give units more hitpoints, they shouldn´t overdo it.
    I think people are underestimating how micro intensiv the game can become, due to higher hitpoints.
  10. Nasher

Nasher New Member

They definitely need a lot more hitpoints. At the moment you don't get a real battle because everything dies inside of 10 seconds not matter how many units there are. I think they should go back and look at TA and SC and model it something similar to that.

Another annoying thing is units (especially air) stack up inside each other, so they all die pretty much within the same split second :p
  11. hanspeterschnitzel

Perhaps more HP and a slower fire rate? I mean, look at the UEF tanks in Sup Com. They also die to 2-3 hits from a point defense and about.. 4-5? From ground units. Well, they survive longer than our Ants at least. :D
  12. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I really like this idea.

Since we're talking about balance, I'll change the subject like a bad forum poster and say ants shouldn't be as good as taking down bombers as they currently are. It practically invalidates bombers and spinners at the same time.
  13. amphok

amphok Member

in TA you feel the unit dying before they die, units die somehow fast even in TA but the combat remain slow, due to units time rotation and other things, combat are really good there
  14. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

much more hitpoints = Much more durability (hope i spelled it right?) => units live may longer. Prepare your PC well, because if units dont die, you reach the unitcap so much faster.
    Way to stop it would be a longer building time - what would slow down the game so hard. Slow unitbuilding + much HP + large battlegrounds => Time.
  15. hanspeterschnitzel

What unitcap? Hehe.
  16. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

The "When u hit around 2000 units the game just crashes" cap :3
  17. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

So we don't want massive armies in PA? That's new.
  18. ninnamin

ninnamin Member

We don't want massive server crashing armies, no. Just because the number is theoretically limitless doesn't mean there's no limit. The hardware is it's own unit cap.

Also, I could've sworn I'd seen this topic before. Nevertheless, I still agree wholeheartedly. Units feel too fragile at present.
  19. legitlobster

legitlobster Member

I wouldn't care about the crash-cap at all because optimization is a thing to come.

I agree with everything being too fragile, fights are often over in seconds even with large armies involved.
  20. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

+1