Can we be reasonable?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by beanspoon, July 27, 2013.

1. beanspoon

beanspoon Member

Hi all,
    I've been using the forums less and less recently, the reason being that posts seem to be filling up with more and more angry posts directed at the devs (who are working well over a 40 hour week just to try and bring us an enjoyable game) or at one another. We're all here for the same reason: we like strategy games and we want this one to turn out to be something we're all going to play for years to come.

So why all the hate? There's a popular saying that goes "person + audience + anonymity = a******", and a depressingly large portion of the posts on here live up to that saying. For those squabbling and insulting one another on the forums: I know we have differing views, and you may not agree with another person's idea. This doesn't mean that you have to slate their argument and hurl insults. Let's all have a reasoned discussion, give your view on the matter in hand with examples and evidence and leave it at that. Then let others share their views. Simple. At the end of the day you're not going to convince someone with opposing views to you, so just leave it. Furthermore the devs have final say on what goes into the finished game, and they will go with what the majority of people enjoy, not who can shout the loudest.

Finally, for those people who are directing angry posts at the devs: please, before jumping on your high horse, take a moment to read the forums. The devs are working extremely hard to make this game as good as possible for us, while at the same time keeping all of us in the loop with what's going on through replies on the forum and periodic livestreams. The game is still in the alpha, so no it will not be optimised, no it may not work properly for everyone, and no not all of the features are present yet. Anyone who has bought the game at this stage should be fully aware of the risk that an alpha product may not work for them. If not, I can only assume that they do not fully understand the concept of an alpha. If you are unlucky enough to have bought the game and are not able to play it, be patient as the devs are doing their best to get it working.

With that said, can we please stop spending so much time slagging one another off and instead put our energy into helping the devs make this game as good as possible by reasoned discussion and comprehensive playtesting. We all want the same thing.
  2. dbiton

dbiton Member

you shold just flag them and go on. in a mounth the beta will be out and bazinga they are all gone. you shouldnt use reason to convince them, they are the same ppl who downvoted half life in metacrits because it was "Kewl".
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Internet culture is super fast-paced, as is much of modern society. There's a stupidly strong push in the media to be the first out with an article, not necessarily the first out with factual accuracy or even relevancy.

This rubs off onto the common populace, who blindly follow in kind - reacting to without verification or sanity-checks.

Now mix that in with a touch of selfishness (greed is good, as they say), and you get a situation where when people don't get exactly what they both want and expect, they get up in arms and overreact and shout and scream. In PA's case, they shout and scream at the developers because they're the public face of PA - we're pretty much on a first name basis with half of the development team.

What you're looking at is just a symptom of a bigger problem.
  4. hygieia

hygieia New Member

As of today (thx to the Samsung/fullscreen guy) i am writing down these names in a special black-list, so i know what to do if i see this username in a game lobby.
  5. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I started doing that back in November.
  6. bongologist

bongologist Member

I still have a 'list' from FA somewhere in my junk drawer lol :mrgreen:
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Hi Beanspoon,

Unfortunately, in my fairly lengthy experience of internet forums on various different topics, I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that this is a characteristic found in almost every single forum on the internet.

The funny thing is, a lot of these people I've often spoken to in person, and their written persona is so far removed from their actual personality it's almost impossible to associate the two.

It's unpleasant sometimes, but I'm of the opinion that you should take absolutely everything you read on forums with a large pinch of salt. There are people on here who can and will engage in reasonable discussion the overwhelming majority of the time, but who get a bit flustered sometimes and write something that's not that pleasant. I've been guilty of it myself on numerous occasions.

It's just a flaw in human personality. Everyone on here is (or should be) aware of this, and act accordingly. Don't be put off :)
  8. Badtoasters

Badtoasters Member

9. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Sadly, there are a great many idiots on the internet. Trying to plead reason with them is as fruitless as trying to persuade tides not to ebb. Try not to let a handful of morons get you downhearted.

And there is some good news at least. In my experience, this forum has a higher than average signal to noise ratio when it comes to people makinging well considered comments. This contrasts with some previous forums I have been on over the last few years. In my experience, the internet, and game-related discussion in particular is actually improving, although at a very slow rate.

The reason is quite simple. Above a certain age, it is very rare for someone to care about video-games as they neither grew up with them, nor are willing to give them a try. As a result, the average age of a forum-goer is somewhat lower than society at large, meaning there is a higher concentration of immature idiots. Furthermore, many of these idiots' parents care little for internet discussion, thus have not yet taut their spawn to behave as well online as they would in reality.

However, as time goes by, more gamers grow older and a little more mature. We learn more about how games are made, and thus become better at engaging with developers about how they make their games. We are steadily moving to the point where the most internet literate individual in the household is not uniformly the youngest. This transformation is slow, but organic. It will take years if not decades for the internet to civilise itself (and it may never reach levels of propriety found elsewhere), but it will happen.

Although the internet idiot will never truly die out, (just as the real life idiot has not), i suspect the will become significantly rarer. So, in a delightful irony with regards to some of your early posts, I'm afraid I must impart these words:

Be patient. In this case, very patient.
  10. wilhelmvx

wilhelmvx Member

These forums are halls of wisdom and justice by Internet standards, there will always be trolls and haters.
    I don´t believe in a better tomorrow like yourlocalmadsci, but rest assured that I have faith in this community.
  11. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Well im very direct!
    But i now very well the work it have,i have also pass by that,was little game work with some friends and my bro but take us many hours,so i imagine a game to be show to all world,not talk all reputation they want to show,like they are show now, total professional team.
    But i have the power to understood when i have to stop flame and try to help with usefull thoughts,and even say sry thats not a problem to me,well some times it is :D .....
    Uber you guys rock ,and doing a great work here.
    Last edited: July 28, 2013
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

:roll: Katherine is actually a guy, don't listen to him...
  13. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

tatsujb, i don´t now you and you dont now me,seems you belong to this topic but this isn´t exactly to you.
    Keep focus only on game,thats wy we are here,at least most off us, and give the right arguments about the game ,and only the game to we discuss.
    Personal attacks will be immediately baned..
  14. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

People will always try and make a mountain out of the tiniest molehill problem on the internet, because there's a lot of built up rage that being on an anonymous internet forum can bring out. That, plus when people like something, they tend to shout about it far less than when people hate something.

It's okay, all the Uber females/transfemales know who each other are >:3
  15. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

Don't you mind sharing it with me? :3
  16. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

Most annoying thing ist, that the contructive stuff is just being ignored, while the random hating/trolling gets so many posts. I dont know which side is more stupid actually.
  17. sorenr

sorenr Member

I've never posted on a forum with the expectation that my posts were benefiting anybody but myself. So I state my position, clarify maybe once, and then let it go. It's liberating, and I still get the benefit of whatever rational criticism turns up.

The internet is full of dickheads and always has been. You can't silence the dickheads, and sometimes you can't even avoid them very well. But you can choose not to take them seriously, and encourage other people not to take them seriously, and like most attention-seeking behavior it eventually burns itself out. As long as nobody's being ordered a hundred pizzas or getting threatening phone calls, it's just noise.

And once the beta is out I'll be too busy smashing robots into other robots to care.
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

;)