Things that annoy you in RTS games

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by GreenBag, July 5, 2013.

1. beanspoon

beanspoon Member

Haha good answer sir xD
  2. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Im fine with people better than me.

I hate it when they're so much better than me that it's not even a fight.
  3. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

yea that
  4. Nahtonaj

Nahtonaj Member

What I find absolutely annoying is an unbalanced amount of automation vs. manual interface. SupCom2 really bugged me on this one. They had mass fabricators manual, meaning I couldn't just let my economy alone and trust it would keep working for me. I would suddenly find myself with a lack of mass and would have to manually select my mass fabricators to fabricate mass. At least give an option to automate a rather regular process like they do with a repeat button on factories! That is one thing that really vexes me.
  5. Devak

I found mass conversion to be the worst idea ever on Supcom 2. IMO, it was pretty much always a rush to mass conversion.

I played a Supcom2 match with friends and we enabled everything (normally we disable nukes) except mass conversion. It was the first time i made good use of a Cybranosaur. I was suprised to see that the immense cost of experimentals gave huge value to regular units and it served the game so much more.

I believe that in TA, mass conversion was insanely expensive and basically not worth it unless you had an extremely metal-poor world.
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

This is exactly how mass conversion is supposed to work.
  7. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

TA actually had the second-best metal fabrication (if you were Arm, Core is slightly worse), second only to Vanilla Supcom 1.0.

For reference, it was 15M for 850E or 12M for 650E. Fusions cost...2k metal I believe, and MMMs cost some low amount like 80. You made your money back in a bit over 2 minutes. The first is substantially worse for Core because their fusions cost more too, but over time it balanced out.

As I recall FA t3 massfabs were really hard to use because mexes were so much better, and supcom 2 mass fabrication is amazing but risky due to the high amount of RP it costs.
  8. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Ooh I got a pet hate having to reduce settings despite the required settings (Not minimum) to run the game smoothly, I can play SC2 single player in the good settings but for multiplayer I've had to reduce them. I understand why this exists on the technical side but it does bug me
  9. dbiton

dbiton Member

Jerks who rushes and uses cheap "startgeys" (zerg rush, rocketer rush, building turrets in your base in the first minute of the game, you know.
  10. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

I do hate the rush within 2 mins tactics kinda why I love this game as it's physically impossible it's possible within 10 minutes but that's plenty of time
  11. AfailingHORSE

AfailingHORSE Member

God I hate forced base placement, that is I can only build bases in certain spots on the map, like Age of Mythology or Halo Wars.

And the lack of the ability to queue a building for the future even if I do not have the resources.
  12. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I'm... I'm sorry, I agree with you entirely, but I'm too busy laughing at your signature to add to your post... IT'S JUST SO FUNNY. I DON'T KNOW WHY.
  13. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Fully agree that wins the signature war is there ever was one to begin with
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

15. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

i thought it was funnier when it was a hotdog (the live action remake)
  16. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

I do hate taunting,I've done it myself but it's been towards people face to face wherefor example RA2 humming the battle of battle or britain theme tune sending an armada of kirov airships to my friends base but I had to look him in the face afterwards
  17. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

It's very difficult to play for the lolz with randoms. At least thats my experience. Everyone who plays multiplayer wants to play just to win. I wanna play to screw around most of the time
  18. cyprusblue

cyprusblue New Member

My personal biggest pet peeve is anti-turtler religious zealots to the point that no viable defense is ever ok in the misguided attempt to force everyone to adopt a single playstyle that they approve of which consists purely of the fastest biggest offense wins.

Also, micro.
  19. Devak

Well it wasn't a criticism. As i noted below that part, the most fun i've had with Supcom2 was a match without massconversion.
  20. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

My biggest pet peeve is people who think there is such thing as a "playstyle" inside of a competitive environment. When you're going to buy your mother a cake for her birthday, you don't buy the cake that you're in the mood for at the moment, you buy her a cake that you know she'll love.

And when I say competitive environment I don't mean a Starcraftian click-fest where every microsecond matters and a mis-click means death to your army and dishonour for your entire bloodline. I mean any environment where somebody is trying to win, and somebody else is trying to win, and those two people are in the same battlefield. If you're just playing for shits and giggles like petard, all bets are off.