Super Thin Client?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Rebuilt, July 23, 2013.

1. Rebuilt

Rebuilt Member

Hi UberEnt,

Is there any scope for a super thin client for PA?

It seems the server does all the heavy lifting and the client just render pretty graphics. Is it therefore possible to have a client that doesn't render pretty graphics? Something that just logs you in, paints a basic sphere with colours for terrain, menus, and icons for units and buildings. Something with such small graphical demands on the client computer that it could be run from a USB stick without installing. Or even in a HTML5 web browser.

Any chance of this?

Rebuilt
  2. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

I vote for color ASCII. :D

Attached Files:

• a1.jpg
      a1.jpg
      File size:
      637.7 KB
      Views:
  3. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

i thought that the idea where there could be a version of the game where there is no actual models of the units and you play by the tactical icons alone. that by itself would make a version that can be handled much easier with almost any computer. i pretty much play souly by the tactical icons already.only zooming in to watch battles or find resources and of course find available spots for buildings.
    Last edited: July 23, 2013
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

So what you want is Planetary Annihilation: Dwarf Fortress Edition?
  5. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

If I can use my netbook to ssh into my home server to play a game, I would be quite happy. As long as it uses vi hotkeys. (Or if the emacs hotkeys can be rebound to vi hotkeys.)
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

All this would do is reduce the GPU requirement; CPU and RAM requirements would not be greatly affected.
  7. zurginator

zurginator Member

Textures/Models/Animations greatly affect RAM usage.
  8. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

True, I was thinking specifically of the models rather than textures or animations. But the problem is still keeping track of massive numbers of units and data, which would still require significant amounts of RAM. The only was to avoid this and have a true super-thin client is to stream the output image from one device to the thin client, so all the thin client needs to do is display what is essentially a movie, and pass back and commands given.
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

The short answer is yes this could be done.
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Now the question is what are the chances of Uber doing that? ;p

Mike
  11. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

love the implications of this idea

"spectator" streams of artistically low-end visuals .... cool
  12. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Anytime soon? Zero. Simply don't have the resources for things that aren't important core features.

It's much better for us to put time into making the current client better and faster. Regardless this is something that's possible though and it would certainly be possible to spectate games on a thin client, and even to give orders etc.
  13. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Well, as long as the server protocol is available, some enterprising modder could rewrite the client from scratch to support their ideals. Such as Ascii-Annihilation.
  14. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

So basically space invaders?
  15. zurginator

zurginator Member

I think this could provide interesting options for multiplayer, if expanded properly.

A mod could set it so there is an over-arching general, who can watch what all his teammates are doing -- his sole purpose is to unify forces and create the large-scale plan.

Via lots of small, render-easy screens, he could view everything at once, and relay important information to people who focused more on small-scale situations. If people really worked together this could provide a truly incredible experience.
  16. irregularprogramming

irregularprogramming Member

You have spawned, you hear the faint sound of music coming from an unknown source.

You seem to be standing in a large grassy field, to the north you see a large mountain, to the east you see a river. Far away you notice the horizon curving slightly out into space.

There is a metal patch here...

C:\>_
  17. comham

comham Active Member

Ctrl+D
  18. irregularprogramming

irregularprogramming Member

You have spawned, you hear the faint sound of music coming from an unknown source.

You seem to be standing in a large grassy field, to the north you see a large mountain, to the east you see a river. Far away you notice the horizon curving slightly out into space.

There is a metal patch here...

C:\>^D
  19. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

20. LegendTheo

LegendTheo New Member

Just something to think about but since the idea is for multiple windows open at once, if the devs run into performance limitations this might be an idea to increase the potential open screen count. Idea being you would have X number of normal render clients for main play and Y number of Low res one's to monitor other things.