What is Uber bid for Total Annihilation IP was?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by SXX, July 22, 2013.

1. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

It seems that the field of of RTS games development is really quite a small one.

On a second note, I'm beginning to think that the devs of uber have, between them, contributed to stealing more hours of my life than any other group of people.
  2. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

Homeworld 2 installed from the retail CD fine in Win8 x64, although the hardcoded update servers don't exist anymore so you'll be stuck with the release version.

Also when starting a match you get slideshow framerates for the first couple of minutes, and it then speeds up magically. No idea what the cause is, but play though that and it's fine.

Not tried Homeworld or Cataclysm yet, I though it best to start with the latest when trying to install on a far newer OS ;)
  3. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

I hate the fact that this will now never happen :(
  4. Consili

Consili Member

thanks :D haven't played them in years, be good to have a go again. (in between PA matches of course!)
  5. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

Although I am really disappointed by their irresponsible attitude towards Empire Earth III, I really liked some of their games such as Cataclysm and Armada II.

There are numerous places where you can get the latest updates on the internet. ;)
    When I tried the Cataclysm on Windows 8, it was unplayable (The game is running but I experienced lack on building and research part. I am not sure it is the problem from the OS or my hardware...).
  6. osirus9

osirus9 Member

Dang Neutrino, I had no idea how small the world of PC RTS devs was, but now that I think about it, game studios didnt get huge until very recently, so when games like Ta were getting made you must have met like half the "founding fathers" of the industry today! That's sooooo cool! Maybe you could just tell a few stories about stuff like that in the "what can we do for the backers" thread?
  7. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I know a significant amount of old school game people and have plenty of stories. I've gone to 17 GDC's so far for example.

The best way for me to communicate this stuff is through my blog though. You have read that right? www.mavorsrants.com
  8. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Neutrino, you really should write some of your experience up sometime. Not all gossipy and whatever, but a lot of people on this end of things would love to hear the inside baseball of old school RTS history.
  9. sneakyness

sneakyness Member

It's comforting to know we're in good hands ;) After what happened to the SimCity franchise, well, you know :(
  10. osirus9

osirus9 Member

I did not know about your blog before now at all. I know what I'll be reading during down time at work now though! Just taking a quick look at it its pretty interesting. I like how you go into technical details about the how and why you were building a raytracing API. But now I'm curious if you think some of the stuff you developed for your raytacing API will be used for PA? I always thought that raytracing was the best way to render things since it is the most like how the world actually works, but historically its been far too expensive to use for everything (as mentioned in your post, performance is the top concern and I must agree). I also love your post about how you are mapping the planetary geometry. The details about how you came to the method you're using and why it's the best for this application are all very interesting to me. Especially since I majored in computer game development. Maybe I'll even get to meet you (the legend) someday and talk about it in person!
  11. neutrino

No, none of the raytracing code has any practical current application.
  12. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

Well thank you then for one of my favorite games of all time. Homeworld & Homeworld 2 are probably my favorite RTS games ever made (because I love space!). PA will be up there, as it already is! I mean for it being alpha I have 51 hours logged on Steam so far which is more than most of my 150+ steam games xD

I am a total Relic fan due to all their RTS games being excellent! Though I can't wait to see what the devs from Homeworld who founded Blackbird Interactive do with Hardware: Shipbreakers. It looks interesting so far (in addition to having Paul Ruskay for their composer!).
  13. neutrino

The blackbird guys are some of the very key dudes behind homeworld so I'm expecting a lot.
  14. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Signed up for the beta two weeks ago, though I'm not a Homeworldee like most people here so I don't have the confidence in these guys to cough up $50-$100 for a preorder based on some vague footage.