What is Uber bid for Total Annihilation IP was?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by SXX, July 22, 2013.

1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

This would have made so many people, incredibly happy.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I am now incredibly frustrated that this won't happen.

EDIT: Why didn't you tell us this was the plan? We could probably have had another whip-around to up Uber's bid! :lol:
  3. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

That really would have been awesome. I would have loved to see that as a learning tool on a few specific things.
  4. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ta3d/fi ... %20(source)/

You can look at Spring source code too. It's more advanced feature-wise.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I think you understand that Spring it's a VERY different engine. ;)
  6. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

If the goal is to learn something, it's probably not a bad idea.

TA3d is closer to original TA.
  7. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

Should've had a kickstarter:
    Pledge $1+ : receive a copy of the TA source code...

:mrgreen: I'd have equalled my PA pledge for this, easily

Seriously though, while I confess I hadn't heard of Uber prior to a friend mentioning the PA kickstarter to me, the more I learn about you guys the cooler you get. Feel free to keep doing cool stuff and I'll be happy to keep throwing monies at you :cool:
  8. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

I did not expect the news will make some people blame CT and the Uber. I would like to apology if I made Chris and the Uber feel uncomfortable by making the topic on forum...
    I am happy to hear about your thought Neutrino. And I am sorry to hear that you could not make it.
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Basically this is an ongoing legal process with a lot of strict requirements so we can't really talk about it much at this point.
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Yeah, unfortunately many people aggressive without a reason. :(

I created this topic because I wonder what's Wargaming want to do with this IP. They make good RTS before and I posted few words about them in other topic (and one of their games with awesome Jeremy Soule soundtrack). So I think there is some chance that Wargaming may fund proper RTS.
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Firstly, fantastic to hear their going to re-release Homeworld! Secondly I have to politely take issue with your statement of 'BOTH' games... there are already 3!

Homeworld 1, Homeworld Cataclysm (far and away the best of the series) and then Homeworld 2.

Cataclysm sadly was poorly marketed but it is without a doubt the best scripted and most varied of all 3 (and I completed all of them). Its one of those hidden gems- if you like Homeworld and haven't tried it look it up (with a bit of fiddling it works under Windows 7 64 bit). Anyway a bit off topic, back to PA / TA, would have been nice for the community to officially get the source for TA- I know the Spring devs would've appreciated it! I just hope new owners don't go on some misguided crusade to shut the project down...
  12. neutrino

Did you guys know I'm in the special thanks of Homeworld?
  13. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Nope, how come?

You built the incredible first Homeworld game-engine on your laptop, in bed, in your free time? ^^ :)
  14. neutrino

No but I did pay for the incorporation of Relic and also hooked up the publishing deal with Sierra.
  15. Consili

Consili Member

Oh I was unclear with my wording, sorry! by saying 'both the original Homeworld games and hi def remakes, I meant that Gearbox are re releasing the original Homeworld games as well as hi def versions. Interesting thing, the ambiguity inherent in English.

I might have to try getting them going in Win7, although I suppose I could wait until they do the re release and see what they do with it.

Interesting stuff! I didn't know that. There again I don't often read through credits, I feel like I might have missed out on some interesting connections now.
  16. neutrino

Interesting stuff! I didn't know that. There again I don't often read through credits, I feel like I might have missed out on some interesting connections now.[/quote]

You've convinced me I need to write it up for my blog sometime.
  17. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

WOW! Then I owe you a big thank you, Homeworld 1 was a big revelation for me at that time. Loved that game! I remember how I found the game in the store and I was craving for some RTS and then I saw Homeworld, RTS in space!

Yes, have to agree, the standalone expansion Cataclysm was awesome! So much fun and good story, although if I remember correctly, Cataclysm was not developed by Relic.
  18. neutrino

Cataclysm was done by Barking Dog Studios which was eventually bought and became Rockstar Vancouver. One of the founders was Chris Mair who founded Hellbent games which did the 360 port of Supreme Commander. The more you know...
  19. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

I knew it !
    The Video Game Mafia exist !
    Everybody is somehow linked to someone...
  20. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Move over Kevin Bacon!

Let's all play The two degrees of separation of Jon Mavor.