playing w better players makes you better?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by feedle, July 22, 2013.

1. leadlpmaster

leadlpmaster Active Member

I give up on making a meaningful point here.

RAINBOW DICKS.
  2. teapot

teapot Post Master General

Frank gets it.

Playing with better players than yourself will only help you improve if you are self aware of the fact that you are trying to learn and improve while playing. You can probably still improve if you just play the game without thinking about it, but I find I learn way better when I have that mentality while in game.

There's a lot variables in players when it comes to their mentality and raw skill, but there are a couple of things that can help. 1) You have to be cocky/confident in one sense or another. How you choose to show it is up to you. When I first got MNC, I only thought two people were better than me and that was Deadeye and Xeno, but I told myself they are only better because they are way more experienced. When facing them I'd constantly be weighing out their movements and approach and learn on where I can improve in order to get the kill. In this sense, neither will fight you unless its an 100% sure win for them, so it taught me how to adapt.

Look at this games top players. How humble are they? Not very. How confident are they in their abilities? Very. I honestly believe that mentality of how you can be the very best (that no1 ever was) helps you break a skill barrier in the game. You set the highest goal for yourself, and you continue to reach towards it. Games, especially FPS have taken huge strides recently to force balances and caps on player skill so players have a better chance against one another. I felt MNC does a good job of creating counters and balances in the game through classes, and allows individual skill to excel as well as team skill.

I've asked a lot of the newer players in PM's if they ever play competitive FPS and almost all say no. I've asked if they wanted to and they've said no. So while they may be playing for fun and hoping for improvement, I don't think the mentality is there to reach your potential.

and now its rare for top players to enter the lobby, it'll be a slow improvement rate from here.
  3. De Troll

De Troll New Member

You need confidence for anything you want to succeed with. That goes far beyond video games.
  4. teapot

teapot Post Master General

Theres a difference in confidence and acting like deadeye though where you just "lalalala im the best"
  5. De Troll

De Troll New Member

Of course, just don't have a RandomToon complex. (No offense)
  6. leadlpmaster

I think aimhacks & godmode make you better.
  7. De Troll

De Troll New Member

8. leadlpmaster

9. feedle

feedle Post Master General

i think trolling scratchy makes you the best
  10. De Troll

De Troll New Member

In all seriousness though, some people are just more gifted than others. There are things people are just realizing now or still don't realize that have been common sense to me for 3 years. Playing with and learning from these people can help you close the skill gap, but if you both are putting in the time and effort then the more gifted person will always be better.