What is Uber bid for Total Annihilation IP was?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by SXX, July 22, 2013.

1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Related to this topic:
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=49795
    "Uber Entertainment, Inc." is Back-Up Bidder for Total Annihilation according to official document:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/154934708/In- ... 6013701588

If this information isn't under some form of NDA, can you share with us what is your bid for TA was?

I wondered how much does Wargaming paid because some time ago zombie of Interplay paid $7500 for Freespace IP. And as long as I know Atari want to sell TA for $250,000.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Bet after PA wakes up rts games, they will use those rights to hop right in on moneymaking.

Don't blame them, it's the smart thing to do, being ready to jump into a field with heavy potential for the next generation of gaming.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Both Uber and Wargaming is better than situation when IP acquired by Interplay zombie or Nordic Games graveyard. :mrgreen:

Don't blame who? :|

I don't want to blame anyone, nay, I more interested to know how much does Wargaming paid, but I have completely 0% chances to ask them.
  4. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Aye, just give us some ballpark estimates. 10k, 100k, 100k and BBQ with John?

I'm really curious. :mrgreen:
  5. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

If Neutrino decides to provide it, he knows more about the limits of what we can and can't talk about, but as it's a core business development topic, I'd be surprised if we provide any info about it. If Wargaming's winning bid amount becomes public, you can probably extrapolate what it's close to.
  6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Anyway thank for honest answer. ;)

Doubt it ever happen. Wargaming it's doing most part of their business in in offshore countries for obvious reasons (there is no way to keep money in Belarus). :mrgreen:

They will never talk about anything like that.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I am actually more curious about what Uber would have done with the IP.
    Base PA's story on the TA story? reuse unit names and "copy" models?
    While those are all fun things to do, I doubt they are worth the 250k$ that the TA IP was supposed to be worth (yeah who knows how much was actually paid).
  8. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

TA2 as sequel, using PA's engine + UberNet backend?
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Is it really already the time to plan what will come after PA? Developing a TA2 would need funds from somewhere after all. Considering it was stated that Uber does not plan to release PA and be done with it that would seem odd.
  10. BulletMagnet

You're right.

And in any case, I'd prefer to see two competent dev teams work on two awesome games, than one team try to work on two.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

There is other moment: according to WSJ article base price for TA was $250,000, so probably Uber can't bid less than this amount. Am I right? Garat or Neutrino can you confirm that?

I don't want to know exact sum, but information about basic price are public, but I have no idea how all these IP auctions working in the US. So if there some other USA guys who have knowledge all this business stuff, can you please fix me if I'm wrong?
  12. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

It was bid in organs, not money. We all now Uber sells organs on the black market to make their games. I assume it was about 7 kidneys, a spleen, 2 hearts and probably 4 very sophisticated brains.
  13. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Who were the unlucky sources of the brains?
  14. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Turns out that uber had more interns that the one who's project we've seen.
  15. comham

comham Active Member

They did say PA is a platform, didn't they? Or was that ChrisT's cancelled project? Or was it both?

Either way, if uber's bid wasn't successful, that's all that really matters. I don't need to know the exact figure, we all know uber is a pretty small company.
  16. zurginator

zurginator Member

I actually care more about the fact that Battlezone was purchased. Battlezone II was and still is one of my favorite games.
  17. BulletMagnet

Shall we make a BZII mod for PA?
  18. comham

comham Active Member

Direct control doesn't seem very possible for PA.
  19. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

We really can't talk about anything until it's all settled. Someday I'll tell the whole story. The first thing I wanted to do was release the TA source code to the community...
    n00n, SXX and shootall like this.
  20. Consili

Consili Member

This is the kind of thing that I was thinking about more than potential for sequels. Much like the recent acquisition of the Homeworld IP by Gearbox. Their first planned moves are to digitally distribute both the original games and hi definition versions rather than to immediately discuss the possibility of a Homeworld 3.

That is a really nice sentiment Neutrino, I'd like to hear the full story some day.