A PSA FOR PAA PLAYERS

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by greendiamond, July 23, 2013.

1. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

If you are expecting people to follow gentlemen rules in random games please request people to follow gentlemen rules BEFORE starting.
  2. turroflux

turroflux Member

They're more guidelines then actual rules :cool:
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

the mass extractors are no longer placable everywhere and the land units can no longer go underwater. so why the thread?
  4. turroflux

turroflux Member

Wall spam is still broken maybe?
  5. greendiamond

gentlemen rules today mostly consist of no wall spam, no commander sniping, and no catapults or T2 mortar fire in general

T1 mortar fire is still acceptable but you'll still be called a douche for it

the only reason why i bring this up is because at least one person in every game i play gets mad when everyone else doesnt follow gentle men rules EVEN THOUGH they never mentioned it once pre-game
  6. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

lolno?
  7. asgo

asgo Member

my problem with gentlemen rules is, in particular in game state as changing as this, that it is usually not enough to decide to play by them. You actually have to define and agree what these rules should look like, even some of the key words thrown around actually need some specification.
    If you don't do that, you just can start the game with a: "let's all be nice" and get roughly the same results (good and bad) with far less overhead. ;)

it's like when you meet a random group of people and start a round of board games with house rules, you don't want each player to play by his house rules. ;)
  8. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

There is a post with the rules in it:
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=48472
    You can refer to that if you disagree with someone.
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

then fuk your gentleman's rules, count me out. all I read is :
    "noone is allowed to kill me lalalala triple jinx, no tag-backs firehose and electric fence, that means you can't touch me or you die and if I touch you you're dead."
  10. asgo

asgo Member

with the link and the rules suggested here in the thread, you kind of proved my point.
  11. greendiamond

never said i liked those rules but people want to whip them out like we all signed to them or something and expect people to follow them.
  12. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

I won't deny that some people think that gentlemen rules are just the rule that they find fair.
    But the thread I have posted is the first and only thread that has the rule explicitly enumerated and updated. It's the first that has stated the gentleman rule and has gathered quite a lot of players including the best of the community. I think it's not fair to compare it with some rule written by a guy on the second page of a random thread.
    There is no excuse for people to not use it and invent their own interpretation of the gentleman rules.
    If you meet someone misinformed, just give him the link to that thread. Would you have any other to give?
  13. darkmecha

darkmecha Member

LoL wut? Was there like a Geneva convention or something I missed?!??!
    Ta hell with these so called 'gentleman' rules, all is fair in love and war tbh.
    Mamby pampy hello kitty style game thatta way ------>
  14. piquedram

piquedram New Member

The gentleman's rules were made for the ladder, and make sure nobody can play a succesful turtle. I myself do not like to always play tank spam, I'll even admit sometimes I want to turtle (*gasp*) seriously though, there are mechanics in the game that make a turtle + snipe a valid play, and somebody prefers tank spam, so puts out these rules that make tank spam stronger. Some no longer matter yes, but disallowing the opponent from building walls, from hitting at range, and allowing your own tanks to move through water? Sorry, that is just spiteful, and I'd be a heretic for not adhering to these rules? Almost looks like religious fundamentalism, which I honestly do not need in a game.
  15. blackswimmer

blackswimmer New Member

I fail to see any connection whatsoever between those rules, and these ones:
    Could someone explain the discrepancy for me?
  16. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

The first one is used for the ladder, updated at each new patch and has the backing of the best player in the community. The other is written by some random guy in a non relevant thread.
  17. greendiamond

they where never written they are just what everyone seems to complain about and tell people not to use under the name of "gentlemen rules." i got tired of people using it all the time without actually establishing that we where going to use them befor hand so i made this thread.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The main point of those "gentlemen" rules was to enforce mex on mex spots and no building stacking a few weeks ago, to make halfway serious 1v1 playable. By now most of those big exploits are gone, so the rules are indeed broken down to nearly just "be nice to each other".
    Still it is a good idea to have some kind of written down set of rules when trying to play in a ladder.
  19. asgo

asgo Member

agreed, when playing in a ladder it makes sense to setup rules for this arrangement. In this case it's also easy to specify and refer to.
  20. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I take it the "1 wall per tower" still stands as that hasn't, to my knowledge, been fixed yet?