Impressions on my first match

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, July 21, 2013.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Finally played my first PA match against other people.

Here's my thoughts.

It didn't go so well. Mainly because I was running on 5 frames per second 5 minutes into the match and I'm pretty sure the two other guys in the 3 way free for all were working together.

I started off fairly good. I've learned a lot watching matches from you guys. Big shout out to zaphodx, thekiller666, and wpmarshall in particular. Your videos have been very helpful. I started off with a great strategy and was pumping out ants from 12 factories in no time.

My opponent was putting up 10 walls per tower, but I managed to bash through it with pelters and a smattering of ants. I attacked from multiple sides, so it wasn't all that difficult. I took a huge chunk out of his economy and was pretty sure I had a good chance of winning.

However... The match was so laggy I couldn't expand. The arrow keys to scroll wouldn't work. I would have to click on a fabricator and wait 10 seconds before I could give it any orders. The only way I could look at different parts of the map was to take 10 seconds to scroll out, move my mouse to a different area, and scroll back in.

So my offenses were loosing effectiveness since making more factories was so difficult. My opponent started spamming up catapults behind two rows of walls, and then suddenly I got hit from the side from the other opponent (orange) with a large force.

And here's why I think they were working together. I had scouted Orange earlier, and Black was directly between me and Orange. So Orange had to go around Black with a big curve to then come up against me.

Even so.

It was still fun to play. However, the Alpha is unplayable for me until it isn't so laggy.

I don't have the latest and greatest Mac, but it still has lots of power and should have been able to handle this game. Oh well.

Lots and lots of fun! Can't wait to actually play beyond 5 frames a second. I think I'm going to try booting Windows and playing there.

In the meantime, I'll have to live vicariously through you guys.

Keep posting matches to http://pamatches.com/
  2. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

Well, Alpha is not about fun. I think it is annoying as well, that the game really starts getting "unplayable" when you are 15 minutes in the game, but well, thats something what will become better with every patch.

About the 2on1 FFA is not much to say - beneath it can have various reasons why he attacked you (He saw you are stronger, why should he help you beating your opponent when u can just beat you down and watch u 2 killing each other.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

dude you gotta turn all the graphics down to minimum and turn off shadows.

that way you can kinda play it but if you leave it on the settings it has by default only a beast with a titan can run it ok.
  4. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

Correction. Titian in dual sli.
  5. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Didn't we prove that a GTX 220 runs better than Titans in Dual SLI?

Anyways, by the time Nvidia comes out with an SLI profile for PA, you'll need 4 Titans in SLI to run it lol.
  6. tatsujb

:shock: whaaaa? thats not the way optimization goes?
  7. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Yeah, but while it gets optimised the scope of the game will also expand to multiple planets, potentionally ruining any advantage in speed in the short term.

(Also, I will misuse any optimisation for moar units anyway. :twisted: )
  8. tatsujb

yesssssssss :twisted:
  9. turroflux

turroflux Member

I am running with the AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series, and run the game at a solid 60 frames with max graphics, even in their un-optimized state. They're pretty cheap now, you should consider upgrading.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

even lategame? really? I cant believe that. Video or it didnt happen :p
  11. tatsujb

agreed this is utterly impossible. you only get 60 FPS when you're not touching anything and when you get to have 500+ units on the map..... then things get serious.
  12. brianpurkiss

I had the graphics settings on medium.

I just put all the settings down to low and tried a match with an AI and things were really laggy maybe 3 minutes in. :-/

I also still had the issue where using the arrow keys to scroll around the map would cause the scroll to stick.
  13. mistermaf

mistermaf Active Member

Did you play the first Company of Heroes 2 alpha test? You needed seven Titans in SLi to get 30 FPS. :lol: It will be optimized in time.
  14. thekiller666

thekiller666 Active Member

Yeeeh, a shoutout to my friends and I!

If you want matches without wallspam I invite you to join us at the Realm Brian. I'm sure you'll find it lovely.
  15. brianpurkiss

I'm sure I will! I hope to join, but I need to be able to actually play the game first. :-/