Remove commander self destruct please!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drewsuser, July 20, 2013.

1. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

So this guy joins in our game, and in the beginning, when our base was small, he went DIRECTLY INTO THE CENTER AND SELF DESTRUCTED.All of our factories and commanders exploded and the other team won.
    Last edited: July 21, 2013
  2. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

This has been discussed before and multiple solutions have been proposed. The best thing you can do right now is play with friends. If you don't have any friends, you can find some on irc.esper.net, the #planetaryannihilation channel.
  3. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

I accidently did this in an FFA match when my comm got stuck in a pgen. I wanted to blow up the pgen and hadn't noticed my comm was selected also. HA.
  4. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

Never had problems with enemies suiciding. Well, when they lost already, but not in the early game.
  5. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

So you rather have it that the enemy commander walks into your bases and uses its gun to kill as much of it before you kill it and it explodes? Cause that sounds worse. :p
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

It would help to have tools more directly capable of dealing with an enemy Commander. Something akin to the SC2 widow mine would work great, as an alpha strike unit would be extremely lethal against Comms. Range is another major thing, since the Comm is extremely vulnerable to anything it can't hit. The TA laser defense worked as a deterrent because it had more range than the Comm, letting it deal lots of damage before getting d-gunned.

Of course, the defense tools kind of doesn't work when the Comm sports a lethal long range gatling laser.
  7. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Commander self destruct I think needs to be in for those who are casting games
  8. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Why is there even the need for a huge nuke explosion when the commander dies anyway? It seems to bring about a lot of problems.
  9. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Because explosions are awesome.

I don't mean that in a sarcastic way either. If you go to all the effort of killing the enemy commander, you better bloody be treated with a fireworks display!

None of this pansy, fall-over-dead, rubbish.
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

:| common... because it is the master chess piece, because it is the only unit that contains a "human", because it has a nuclear reactor inside justifing all the things is can do, because it needs to go out theatrically, and because you need to pay a price for it's death....

Annnnnnnd because it was the case in Total Annihilation AND supcom (oh another thing supcom2 screwed up, you didn't get to see the blast if you played 1v1)
  11. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

I think I mis-worded the first post. It was one of my teammates that sabotaged the game. He didn't like how things currently looked so he just exploded and then disconnected.
  12. teju__

teju__ Active Member

It also discourages super-aggressive use of the commander. I think you shouldn’t be able to win a com vs com fight unless you have a very significant advantage.
  13. mushroomars

My response stands :p
  14. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

So?

His teammate could have instead blown up everything else with [del] for the same effect.

You don't solve trolling teammates by changing gameplay, you add an ignore list for that.

The commander blowing up violently is a stapple of this genre and there are plenty of ways to deal with it.

I just wonder how many complaints we will get when the commander nuke also leaves a crater behind. :twisted:
  15. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

16. mushroomars

...My response was to play with people you know lol. The only time I ever play with random teammates is when I'm just screwing around, all of The Realm is offline but me, or both. I've actually found some decent random match teammates, but I agree that the majority of them are dicks.

It isn't really a huge surprise, luckily, it's not as big of a problem as LoL, and will probably be less of a problem when Uber introduces ladders, ranking, and E-Peen.
  17. turroflux

turroflux Member

Thats just a band-aid for spectating players, you'll be able to start in spectator mode from the beginning at release.
  18. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

La la la can't hear you over the sound of my explosions.
  19. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Ups, sorry mushroomars. Mistook you for somebody else.

small.cpu.reading.comprehension.module .... .... .... failed

(Although I've to say most randoms I've played with in multiple commander armies were nice and helpful. I only once was flamed and then I crushed their base and annihilated them, so it was fine. :twisted: )