Shared control of commanders? WTF?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by savvon, July 21, 2013.

1. savvon

savvon Member

I haven't played in a few weeks and when I just logged on to a 5v5 match all excited, my teammates all took control of my commander.

I didn't know what the heck was going on! I couldnt control a commander and they said I was bugged. So I logged out of game and logged back in to just be able to control ALL the commanders.

I know this is alpha blah blah blah, but is this 'working as intended'? Are we SUPPOSE to control ALL the commanders?

If so, I do not like it! I don't like it at all!

Everything else is kick *** though, but this game breaking for me. Allowing others to control your commander? No thank you!

Please tell me this is just part of making the game and it will not be in beta or the final release. I wont be playing until it is fixed personally. It drives me nuts when I am playing tug-o-war with my commander.
  2. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

normal team games with seperate armies will come later... its alpha state, you know
  3. savvon

savvon Member

Yes, I do know and you would see I do know from my post above. :shock:

But is this an actual game mode? Control each other commanders?

Or like I asked above, is this just a stage in the making of the game? Meaning, will it be taken out of the game?
  4. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

This is just a testing phase of the game. Nothing you see in the game now is 100% sure to be like in the final game. Nothing

We don't know what the game will be like since we got half a year still and half of the game isn't even implemented yet
  5. savvon

savvon Member

So, you don't know how to answer my question?

Any links to what the devs says about everyone controlling each others commanders?

This is very important to me. I am curious if this is the direction of the game and working as intended, or if this is just what they can do right now.

I am cool with alpha (though I don't know why I have to explain this), again, I just want to know if this is the direction they are going or if this will be taken out.
  6. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

The way current team games work is partially a game hack which was said by Neutrino. I think he said you will be able to play team games where there will be one commander or where every player will have his own.

The fact that everyone can control each others comms is here cause dividing them requires work that is not needed at this stage of the game. You don't need to get so upset cause shared commanders is a bad idea and Uber aren't stupid
  7. savvon

savvon Member

I wouldn't say upset, I would say concerned.

I have seen a few kickstarter games, and other non-kickstarter games fail because of one bad decision.

I trust UBER, that is why I supported their kickstarter.

I just want to make sure a mechanic like this is not going to be in this game. Everyone able to control commanders and other players units is simply a very bad decision.

It is no fun for me to play like this and I love playing co-op.
  8. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Join the Realm or visit the PA irc channel on irc.esper.net #planetaryannihilation

You'll find plenty of us to play with!
  9. turroflux

turroflux Member

There will be two separate team modes, team armies (everyone can control other peoples units, commanders might become an exception) and allied teams, where you have allies with different armies that you can't control.

There is no point in making threads like this when not only is your question pointless (IE current co-op isn't the only one we'll have) but you never once looked into the questions yourself. You saw one thing in an alpha build, assumed that it was 100% certain to be in the final game release and come here to complain about it.

You are possibly the worst type to be in an alpha, with enough people with similar mentalities you can destroy a game.

Next time you go to post a complaint, make sure it is a valid complaint (which this isn't).
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

turroflux, your answer is pretty offensive. Please be careful in what you say.

@topic:
    It was clearly stated by Uber that there will be other types of gamemodes. Normal teamgames will be available at a later time. The current type of teamgame is just super easy to implement and that is why it was implemented first. Try playing with good teammates using teamspeak or the like.
  11. savvon

savvon Member

[@topic:
    It was clearly stated by Uber that there will be other types of gamemodes. Normal teamgames will be available at a later time. The current type of teamgame is just super easy to implement and that is why it was implemented first. Try playing with good teammates using teamspeak or the like.[/quote]

Hey thanks for answering my question without raging on me or answering me with the annoying 'this is alpha' response. I reported that turroflux guy. Is this what the community is going to be like? Eesh! :shock:

Anyways, I am a farmer and really do not have time to check all the notes that are spread out all over the place or spend tons of time looking for all the details. I just posted my concern here to get a quick answer. And I did.

I have not found the time to find TS3 servers to set up games or anything. I just want to log on and play. Not into guilds/clans or whatever you guys call them here. I just want to blow stuff up.

I logged on for the first time and noticed I was playing tug-o-war with 4 other people. It was very confusing and very frustrating.

It just doesn't make sense to me that people would actually enjoy having their commanders and units taken control of by everyone else.

Does anyone find this mode of play fun?

I find it very frustrating and for people like me who are solo players wanting to play multiplayer find it very deterring.
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

personally not, but for people who always play in the same team using teamspeak it can be interesting. Ofc if you only like to play with randoms it isnt a good idea to play like this, as it needs a good communication in the team.
  13. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

To really enjoy multiple player teams, the people you're playing with need to be the polar opposite of the guys you played with. Organization isn't really necessary, I still don't have a mic and I play competitive team games with my bros at The Realm. All you really need are a bunch of guys who want to kick *** and explode stuff.

http://www.esper.net/publicirc.php

You can find us at the #planetaryannihilation channel. The channel is a bit quiet, so you might be able to get 1-3 other guys to play a team game with you.

If that's too much work I don't know what to say, play FFA's until Alliances are working? Alliances won't work much better though if your team is a bunch of idiots out to ruin you day.

Edit: Most of the community is nice, but just like any community we have our bad seeds. You'll have to forgive the lack of what a normal person would call "manners" though, nobody here really sugarcoats their posts, most regulars just get tired of our bad seeds being idiots and responding to the same post over and over again. Intelligent, well-mannered people like Nanolathe and Mike can come off as downright hostile sometimes if you don't know how they normally post.
    Last edited: July 21, 2013
  14. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

I agreed with Savvon i don´t like it too don´t even try play it after done 1 only game with that options .
    Its already hard for me insted fight on field, i see me fight against the interface.
    But nothing to worry this things will be fix.
    Also plz ,and plz try respect ppl here, not all off us make the right arguments here.
    We are just try to give the thoughts we feel,not means we are right,probably most time we are rong.
    But lets try share the ideas and discutions like alpha testers....
  15. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Yup, this gamemode is very fun when played with people you know and trust! Otherwise, not so fun :p
  16. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

This mode is really meant for team play, when members of the team may be cycling through over time. Apparently people don't like it much with randoms and that makes sense.
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

this game mode is a revelation, and I would not trade it for anything in the world. It is awesome and pushes teamwork to levels the likes of wich I've never seen.

I love it.
  18. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Actually this mode is still very fun with randoms. You get your bad apples once in a while and sometimes you may wrestle over control of units (often by accident). But sometimes I get teamed up with somebody that does awesome economy so I can play tank commander and ignore bases while sometimes I push the economy and give my partner tons of tanks to work with (and send single file into their death... oh well, there are always more tanks coming out of the dozens factories).

I like the challenge it gives in trying to find out how to play with a random team-mate so it gives the best results.

Personally I think its an awesome mode and I'm quite astounded that something like this isn't standard for multiplayer rts. Its also very newbie friendly as you can help out your teammates and correct their mistakes.
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

+1
  20. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

I guess it could be better communicated that in that gamemode, it's not that players can control each other's commanders, it's that you're part of a team and are responsible for everyone's units. I really don't see what the problem is with it if you avoid the idiots (which can be hard), and communicate well.