The needed dichotomy of bots and tanks

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by turroflux, July 18, 2013.

1. turroflux

turroflux Member

If realism gets in the way of balance, then realism takes a back seat. Bombers should be a solution to mass tank spam, not the other way around.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Like I said, taking a shot at and actually hitting are two different things.
  3. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Air units should be a bit faster and smaller, but more importantly, tanks need their max pitch reduced a lot.

I am strongly against adding inaccuracy to tanks, as they are frontline combat units, and that would add a degree of randomness to major engagements. Randomized shots are fine for raiders, which are never used to fight major, fair battles.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Due to teh simulated nature, unless there is some kind of firing randomness, a unit only takes a shot if it can hit, so it's up to the target to avoid it somehow post-firing.

It's one of those "Nice in Theory" things that doesn't quite pan out in implementation.

Mike
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I suppose you are correct, what with predictive fire and all.

I would imagine that a slower turret speed would be the best solution then? So air targets would be gone by the time the turret can aim as high?
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That and tighter pitch range are prolly going to be the most effective methods assuming we stay with the Anything can shoot Anything system.

Mike
  7. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Have I been blocked or something?
  8. bongologist

bongologist Member

No we hear ya bro, tracking speeds should be lower to stop them trying to hit planes.
  9. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

TA also had a firing delay and firing tolerance that made it far more difficult to acquire an air unit before it zipped out of range.

It just needs more tweaking, that's all. Going back to the supcom rock/paper/scissors system would be stupid when the physics realm already has answers for these issues.

There's also something to be said for increasing the altitude of aircraft. Higher flying means that ground units have a harder time getting the angle and range for their shots.
    Yeah, no. There are plenty of factors that can be used to ruin the utility of tanks including terrain, walls, mines, long range sniping, sucking up the heaps of metal they leave behind. Bombers have FAR better uses than being shoehorned into destroying the highest endurance units in the game, which is a fantastic way to break the hell out of bombers.