performance improvement?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by d3nn05, July 17, 2013.

1. d3nn05

d3nn05 Member

i have seen similar threads but no real answers.

Are you guys improving performance or is that a later priority?

Because feels like it getting worse. had 20 fps before but now im down to 10 FPS and this is at the beginning of the game(no building. just the commander)

And since the last three-four patches, the game have started to lag when i rotate the planet (lags for some sec so the graphic can catch up ( the planet is blurry when i rotate))

and YES i have the latest driver!
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I've noticed significant performance improvements since the first build. When I first played I managed on 5 FPS, but now it's usually closer to 15-30.

That said, I've noticed that performance can vary greatly depending on particular models of hardware.

Have you got shadows turned off? That's the biggest performance improver.
  3. d3nn05

d3nn05 Member

everything is on low.
    din't know you could turn of shadows completely^^

hm installed fraps, and it show 25-60 fps but when i press "P" to show the in-game thing it show 10 fps and even fraps goes down to 10 fps? and when i close the window fraps goes back to 25-60 fps? and you can even see the game flows better?

dose the "P" function lower the performance that much?!
    and the commander lower the fps when he builds with 1-10 fps i think that is kinda weird too.
    Last edited: July 17, 2013
  4. cwarner7264

Hmph. I suppose I'll have to ask the usual - sytem specs and DxDiag? :)
  5. d3nn05

d3nn05 Member

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor (6 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Grafic: AMD Radeon HD 6950 twinfrozr

Attached Files:

6. cwarner7264

I had similar quirks when I first started. I've got an i5, 8GB RAM, Nvidia 5xx graphics card, all that stuff, but performance was still shite.

Certain hardware combinations seem to cause unexpected problems, you might be best to wait it out until Uber can get all the kinks out of the system.

Perhaps someone a bit more knowledgeable than me can take a look at the DxDiag
  7. Nebbyyy

Nebbyyy Member

1. Make sure your drivers are up to date
    2. alter the driver boot setting for PA.exe, make sure it boots with no anti analysing as well as texture filtering off
  8. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I think performance optimisations will be ongoing for quite a while. I think my FPS has actually improved with this build.
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Fraps can't get correct framerate because game isn't using modal fullscreen mode.

Game also have different layers: UI and game scree. As long as I understand UI may have 60FPS, but game screen still have 10-20.
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's strange, I have mostly same card, but 1GB model and my perforamce is much much better than your. At start of game I easily get 110fps, most of game it's 15-25 and I can finish 1v1 game with 8-14fps.
  11. d3nn05

d3nn05 Member

yeah kinda strange i only have 110 fps at the meny :/ hope it get better then. so it don't end up like many other games that have huge performance issues at launch/beta.
  12. ozolus

ozolus New Member

I pull 30-45 while streaming at 1080p, but my rig is semi-ridiculous. Seems everyone with a multithreaded processor is in heaven right now.

Give it time, they stated in a few of the videocasts that they are doing on-going optimizations.
  13. jacoby6000

jacoby6000 Member

Just thought I'd point out that processors have had multi-threading for at least 15 years now... I'm not sure how long it's been. And multi-core is a standard. I think you just have a fast processor.
  14. madday92

madday92 New Member

I don't think multithreading is even being taken advantage of to its full extent as of yet. The most threads I've seen PA use thus far is 12.
  15. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Anyone thought its maybe not his specs but game? Ya know, entire planet to render with all small trees and rocks, with no LOD models whatsoever? Just sayin'
  16. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

We always look for easy perf wins when we can, and as it makes sense, we go back and refactor, fix or optimize systems that make sense to. In many cases, we won't be doing focused optimizations passes until we're feature complete, but that's not to say we don't continue to do what we can to improve perf now. :)

If we can gather some specific metrics that are hitting large groups of people consistently (client side - server side we continue to improve and have most of the data we need), we can always target those. Client side optimization is always a bit harder because there's so many variables, so the more data we can gather, the better.

I may throw together another survey through Google to see if we can determine which combo of system/graphics/gameplay are having the most problems.
  17. Artamentix

Artamentix Member

An easy one to implement pertains to how quick the economy values are updated. http://bit.ly/12HXNsh *Mod edit: link shrinkers are your friend ;)*

I find it quite interesting to consider that Supreme Commander has a much slower update speed on the amount of mass/energy you have in storage, does this mean that game also had a problem like it?
  18. sneakyness

sneakyness Member

Been using this myself, works like a charm. If you are having framerate issues, use this. If you aren't, use it anyways, it'll still get better.