PC freezes after few minutes of gameplay

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by wumpy, July 10, 2013.

1. wumpy

wumpy New Member

Hello,
    a problem have occured to me.
    When I start the game everything is ok. But when I start the battle, after -+ 2-3 mins the PC freezes and I have to shut it by power button or unplug the power. (Last game was an accomplishement. Whole -+6 mins :D )

I read this thread : viewtopic.php?f=61&t=49049&start=30 - but its not a overheating problem and I am out of ideas. :(

DxDiag attached (I hope)

Please help.

Wumpy

Attached Files:

2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

First please remove this wall of text and upload DxDiag as attachment. ;)

Second you might try beta latest legacy driver from here:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/w ... sta64.aspx

Also I think that freeze is technically possible because of low memory in your system.
    Try to exit other applications before starting game.
  3. wumpy

wumpy New Member

1) Check
    2) Check

I started battled and the PC froze again in 3 mins.
    Only app running was google chrome (I closed him too).

Thanks for the reply though.

Wumpy
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I think you need to ask AMD support about that, if you check there is multiple people with same problem. If you google "hd 3800 freezes" there will be multiple reports about that.

Or just buy new GPU because your is already 5 years old. ;)
  5. wumpy

wumpy New Member

Ok, thanks.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

set all graphics to min. turn off shadows.

that is the solution.

If you have 1gig of graphics memory it works if you have much less it may not be enough

the problem is if you turn graphics up this (current build of the) game consumes something like 3gigs of graphic memory .... even if you don't have it.
  7. thelisto

thelisto New Member

Why does it consume that much and will it eventually be optimized?
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

That much of what? Video memory?

PA use triple virtual texturing (it's more advanced version of MegaTexture) for every object in game. This give's PA lot of graphical advantages especially for procedural generated maps, but it's use more VRAM than most of traditional texturing techniques.

I think it's can be optimized, but it's will always work much better on hardware with lot of VRAM.
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

because it is revolutionary in every way, there is a planet a moon a sun (will be more celestial bodies) they orbit around one another, all of these can have an unlimited amout of units that stick to the surface and follow flowfields and cast shadows and simulate projectiles.

Yes it will be optimised, no not for laptop graphics, it has aready become clear (with the help of a statement on the livestreams about needed specs) that PA final product will require desktop graphics of a decently low age.

If you hope to play on your laptop it will be hard for you to enjoy the game as laptops are for the most part equiped with little or no graphic capabilities. consider that this is probably one of the most advanced games of today and it is very demanding CPU-wise (as are all simulate projectile rtses) as well as GPU-wise.
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Lets say clear it's only use CPU when map generated. When it's done game can easily work on 8 years old CPU, I already checked it.