Scale Megathread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, June 24, 2013.

?

The size of units and structures in PA should be :

1. Decreased a Whole Lot

122 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Increased

37 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. Left as they are

132 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Decreased

271 vote(s)
    48.2%
  1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Re: SCALE MEGATHREAD NEW POLL !!

Sup com 1 was fine on scale, they could have been reffering to supcom 2
  2. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

i think we can all agree the units can stand to bit at least just a little bit smaller, but this does sound like a beta discussion especially since we haven't even seen the largest planets nor do we have all the units.it might be better to consider looking at in a more final condition.
  3. tatsujb

nope nope nope nope

beta is bugfix and balance, too many people will have access to the beta, they can't change it then.

Last edited: September 21, 2013
  4. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

individual unit physical size is probably going to be a thing beaten around for balance changes as much as a balance of attack strengths
  5. tatsujb

it doesn't sound like balance to me as it could make more pathfinding/clipping/dissapearing/stuck unit bugs arise. time to decide this now.
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I don't disagree, but there were still many people who had issues with it.

Of course they can, Uber has complete control over the product, there is no real reason they can't make those changes in beta. If anything scale changes make the most sense in Beta, Alpha is generally about having capabilities, Beta is generally about making use of those capabilities to fine tune the game.

Making scaling changes isn't all that dissimilar to making balance from what I understand so I don't see any reason they NEED to be done RIGHT now.

Maybe for VERY drastic changes. Smaller 'fine tuning' type changes should be alright as the game is already dealing with a broad range of overall scales so long as we get bugs and glitches fixed now as a strong foundation for things like pathfinding and collision making changes shouldn't introduce glitches all over the place.

Mike
  7. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

They can change the scale just fine when Beta hits. I don't know why you think that would be off limits. You are mistaken. There is no need to mess with unit scale until we have all the units and have played on the larger planets. There are so many other aspects. Also the scale of the units seems fine. Fully zooming in if they get smaller then the game will be "Icon wars, the iconing!" What you probably want is larger features on the planet, scales those up a bit to make the units not feel dainty in comparison to a hill, plateau, or mountain.
  8. tugimus

tugimus Member

The scale right now is meaningless. This thread is very premature, and quite likely incorrect. They have said you can make your own planets and mods, and it has even been suggested that you can take any 3d model and use it as the planet. Ergo, this thread is specifically aimed at the scale with the few current planets and nothing else.
  9. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

So when you write code you do so in a generic manner to handle a lot of situations. Because this game already has different scales that is part of the system, so changing a units scale should not have any effect on the pathing system. I would know, I've done pathing before and you wouldn't leave something as generic as scale up to any hardcoded anything.... ever.
  10. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

Not sure on what you are basing your affirmation.
    Some people find funny how fast the speed of units are, but no one ever asked to change the scale, ever.

I mean, on FAF forum, while a lot of people want to change about everything about the game (for good or bad reasons), scale was not mentioned. Ever. Not even in chat.

On the contrary, the first mod of supcom2 was a scale mod, and PA had about 10 threads about the scale while it's not even out.
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yes, no one ever during the 6 years since SupCom first came out complained about scale.

I said "That's the route to issues many had with SupCom unit scaling/speeds.", it those kinds of people that stuff like the "Feel" Project stems from.

Mike
  12. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

I would take 0.55x or 0.60x
  13. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

Ehm yeah. Nope.
    People need to understand, that they cant have a realistic size, speed, and look of the units compared to a whole planet.
    I like the idea of decreasing the size a little bit, but keep realistic, if you make the units smaller but make them even faster than they're now, it would look horrible. Like tiny road runners being all over the place. (if you think about bots) They are NOW already quiet fast.

To be honest, i would keep the size of units and building, but actually make them look like it fits into the size. Because right now the buildings and units look like they are ACTUALLY quiet small. They just need to... look more fitting for their size.
  14. generalzhod

generalzhod New Member

I think the planets should be bigger in release version but with the smaller ones/moons/asteroids there for variety and more intense battles!

The units and buildings seem fine as they are really but I would actually like some of the units to be ever so slightly bigger (scamper for example).
  15. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

Haha, I can tell you are quite new here. There is going to be solar systems of planets to play on in a single game. All of different sizes, including moons and asteroids.

I think the units need to be smaller, but I do agree it would be nice to see a bit more size variation too!
  16. tatsujb

oohhhhshiny nobody said they were shooting for perfect 1/1 scale realism, nobody. we just want something that overall looks neater, you yourself find something off. Can't quite put the finger on it, yet you feel the units are too small while you know they're rumbling past mountains that look like they could escalade over and get to the other side without having lost time, given enough horsepower. Mountains shouldn't be like that. Mountains should be something you have to zigzag up because it is too steep and wide to cross by going straight.

also making the trees look smaller would effectively give the units a feel of greater size while making the mountains recover a bit of their massiveness.

finally if you look at the scale design pictures that uber had released (whose links are posted all over this thread) you'll see that it looks more like what I'm striving towards anyways.
  17. dbiton

dbiton Member

Lol you dont want smaoler units you want bigger pleant, and uber working on it
  18. tatsujb

read the thread, as we pointed out we don't only think the units should be smaller compared to the planet, but rather to the features wich don't change size on bigger planets (and if they did that would strengthen the problem). The proportions between features are whats off, there isn't a problem with the planet.

But in the end a planet this size in comparison to the unit size should be the smallest, and it isn't it's 1/3 of full size.
  19. tatsujb

Patch 50742 is out and we can now have diffrent planets
    check it out

I maintain this poll
  20. dorout

dorout New Member

Making planets larger would be a much easier and cost effective solution.