Camera Glide ala Google Earth

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by idsuram1, July 13, 2013.

1. idsuram1

idsuram1 New Member

Basically i humbly suggest to add an optional 'glide' when we drag the middle mouse with a certain velocity, and and slows down, or until we click middle mouse again to stop, ala desktop Google Earth.
    however normal middle mouse click drag, then releasing middle mouse at stop (no velocity) = no glide, same as usual panning.

I think it would feel natural on PA's spherical maps, and it lessens the mouse click-panning needed to navigate, especially bigger maps. It would also be interesting for chronocam replay cast. How do you guys think about this?

:edit: typo and cleaning
    Last edited: July 14, 2013
  2. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

if anything like this were to be implemented, there better be a disable option in the config because i think i would prefer how the camera is now. The only time this may ever be useful is in the current early game when first scouting.
  3. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I would appreciate this, it would give me a logical excuse to build a gigantic touchscreen, just so I could command an army with all 6 of my limbs.
  4. idsuram1

idsuram1 New Member

i'm not implying we should use touchscreen... that would be stupid.

and what i meant of Google Earth is the desktop (windows) version, anyone here tried one?

ofc i'm suggesting it to be optional.
  5. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

You mean where you press button, spin, let go, and the thing spins at the speed you let it go at.. and then slowly.. slows.. down..

Yeah. I ****ing LOVE that with all of my heart. It did that on the car selection page on Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit.. and a bunch of other things too.

It definitely needs to be a togglable, and it really isn't that difficult to get used to it since if you stop the mouse before letting go of the button, the sphere wouldn't spin. It's all about control. .. or for some people who dislike it.. I guess it's about the lack of control.

As soon as you pressed the button to control the camera again, it'd instantly stop spinning too. To be honest, this could be even faster camera movement for those who get to know how to use it well, by spinning the world and while it spins, you put down orders. You could also spin the world to get to the other side quicker, it's a very VERY fluid movement on a 3d sphere, and I think it has a definite place if implemented.
  6. dionytadema

dionytadema Active Member

sounds just awesome, would definitely speed up my workflow.

and for the people that don't like it make it an option to disable this, or if early testing shows that everyone is fine just make it the standart
  7. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

This seems like a polish feature.

/neutrino mode off
  8. idsuram1

idsuram1 New Member

exactly :mrgreen:
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

what about my idea to have a center scroll pop up when you press a modifier key?

[​IMG]

currently rolling the scroll wheel on the world borders is the best way to rotate.

mking this even more readily accessible would be awesome!
  10. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Actually, IMHO, holding down Mouse3 is the best way to scroll. I would appreciate a coasting feature though, that would be pretty cool stuff.