viewing range of units

Discussion in 'Support!' started by carnilion, July 12, 2013.

1. carnilion

carnilion Member

at this stage (build 50355) normal tanks for example have a larger attack range than viewing range. is this intendet to make having some kind of obs or radar more valuable or is this a thing wich will change in the future?

mostly now tanks are way better if they have some aircraft above them so they can shoot at range and not being outranged due to their viewing distance by local defenders witch have radar support. same goes for mobile artilery.
  2. purecaldari

purecaldari Member

This is true for many units in TA, SupCom, FA and will be PA very likely. This breed of RTS games focus very heavily on intel and scouting. The more you see (or have on radar) the better your units will perform. Artillery fires on radar contacts for example.
    This only supports the nature of this kind of RTS. And this game mechanic is one reason I like TA so much more than C&C and other mainstream RTS games.
  3. carnilion

carnilion Member

for stationary long range defence like catapults and lobbers this is neccesary, it may be ok for mobile artilery too, but normal tanks?
  4. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

It makes sense that units are stronger with an air/land scout or radar intel.
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The better question is why do you think this is a problem? This concept is nothing new, Siege Tanks have been doing it for over a decade. This was also used to great effect in SupCom on the Aeon Aurora.

I don't see this as being a problem, if anything it essentially delivers more options in-game. For example even if you have a smaller tank force, if you can draw them to an area with no radar coverage or somehow remove their scouts you can use that advantage to maybe win that exchange.

Obviously we need to make sure the difference between vision range and Weapon range isn't overall too drastic, but it can be an important tool for defining units, I don't feel it's something we should get rid of.

Mike
  6. carnilion

carnilion Member

well then it would be nice to get the weapon range viewed by the game linke in supcom/fa, dunno but i think this is in the feature list allrdy so it will be ok
  7. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Supcom even had a T1 artillery that temporarily cleared the fog of war when it hit the ground. I'm not sure if the concept was used anywhere else in the game, I would've liked to have seen more of it, but that unit became pretty useless later in the game due to teching up.
  8. Ralith

Ralith Member

Dragon's eyes are pretty neat. Currently I just spam vehicle scouts to fill this role.
  9. crystaline109

crystaline109 Member

I love this aspect. It allows units that are operating under radar coverage to perform better than those out on their own. It makes front lines radar installations a high priority target.