What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by DeadStretch, April 8, 2013.

1. missionaryposition

missionaryposition Member

2. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Only a fool assumes that one type of literature is "real" literature.

Back to the topic at hand, I've been reading The God Effect, by Brian Clegg, in order to get a brief background in quantum entanglement and how it pertains to quantum cryptography. I may be involved with some research on the topic in the near future.
    The book itself is easy enough to get into, and the author does a good job at explaining the basic concepts plainly and simply. However, I do wish he went into a bit more complex detail (you know, give us some equations and big words and stuff), though I guess it would be beyond the scope of the book.
  3. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Good idea. Maybe I'll get some ebooks from Gutenberg.org. I haven't read classic scifi and fantasy in a while (except for The Hobbit and LotR). Btw, I think that fantasy like Frankenstein, Dracula, LotR and scifi from Jules Verne classifies as 'real literature'. Song of Ice and Fire might qualify as well.

Now, the so called graphic novel however... Superman comics ain't literature! ;P
  4. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

To some extent, yes. Basically, if a novel's primary (bolded for emphasis) purpose is to introduce its reader to new ideas and make him think, instead of entertainment, I classify something as 'real' literature. The LotR for instance has a lot of sub-textual stuff about nature vs man and a lot of criticism on industrialism.

I use the term 'real' because I'm a pretentious, elitist snob.

edit: btw, tbh I wouldn't call Jules Verne's work real literature, but I read it when I was like ten, so maybe I just missed the deeper message.
  5. bigpony

bigpony New Member

This past weekend I started the Dark Towers series by Stephen King. I hear it is really good, although slow to start. I believe I am past the slow start phase now though :)
  6. notsmurph

notsmurph New Member

Just finished off some material related to Mage: the Ascension, good stuff, too bad they fell into the reboot fad.
  7. killien

killien Active Member

Thud by Pratchett
  8. teju__

teju__ Active Member

I figured this could use a bump.
    "Establishmensch" by Andy Strauß. Really good, but somewhat disturbing at times.
  9. larsethearse

larsethearse Member

I'm reading the sci-fi book 'Citadel' by John Ringo. It's the second book in the 'Troy Rising' series.

Fun part is that all the blabber about the name for the PA engineers (fabbers) got me curious about the source. Suddenly I have nothing against the name!

Anyways, it's a fun book to read and it makes me want to play with mirrors.
  10. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I just started reading 'Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston.' So far it's an amazing noir ride.
  11. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

"On Writing Romance"
  12. thebigpill

Catcher in the Rye for the thousandth time.
  13. mimojohn258

mimojohn258 New Member

I am just reading the world news and now reading about the prince williams how he is the great and even he is the king but he know his responsibility and go return to his work.
  14. Just1more

Just1more Active Member

15. thebigpill

THIS IS THE BEST **** EVER don't entirely agree with his interpretation though
  16. DeadStretch

I just started reading Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. It's Sci-Fi noir. I am about 30 pages in and it feels like I am reading the Matrix mixed with Mass Effect. Pretty wild so far.
  17. Just1more

Just1more Active Member

Usually each reader has its own interpretation, I like to think this guy has some reliable source. I'm not sure tho.

And yes, I found this channel just as amazing as you prolly did.
  18. thebigpill

The interpretation isn't half bad, I only disagree with certain parts of it (most notably the conclusion). Oh and Holden don't be in no psych ward, he be like having tuberculosis that's why he be up in that biatch.
  19. DeadStretch

I just started The Winter of Frankie Machine by Don Winslow. So far it's like The Sopranos meets Grumpy Old Men.
  20. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I've started slowly working my way through Peter Hamilton's works.. Currently about halfway through Night's Dawn (Neutronium Alchemist).. It's rough around the edges, but already can see the potential he has as a writer even with his initial sci fi bible. Looking forward to getting through it and on to some of his later books.

Not sure how I missed this guy, as a fan of Fredrick Pohl, this stuff is right down my alley.