Zoom out to celestial view

Discussion in 'Support!' started by zaphodx, July 8, 2013.

1. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Please for the love of mechanised robots remove this and leave it at switching using , and .

Constantly find myself zooming into celestial view every time I zoom out to get a strategic view. If not removing then perhaps make it so you have to scroll out to max zoom and then have to scroll out again to get into celestial view.
  2. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

QFT :mrgreen:
  3. veta

veta Active Member

4sure
  4. deso88

deso88 Member

Yeah this is quite annoying.
  5. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

At the moment, this is particularly annoying, as there is a tendency to end up in orbit while zooming out.

When we are fighting battles across multiple planets, I suspect this will be a lifesaver. All that is required is a way to ensure that the player doesn't accidentally end up in interplanetary space when they just want a planetary overview.

Two ways this could be achieved are requiring a break in scrolling between the highest planetary zoom and celestial space, or requiring a proportionally higher amount of scroll-movement to enter the celestial view.

Either way, I think we will need this feature to get around the solar system. It just needs to be altered a bit to make it less jumpy.
  6. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

If this is added as an option in the game's UI options, sure. I definitely see the need for this, but I do enjoy MASS ZOOMING outwards :)
  7. thekiller666

thekiller666 Active Member

The zoom limit is already there interestingly. If you zoom out by using ctrl+arrow keys you hit a zooming limit. Simply having this same limit for mouse scrolling should be doable.
  8. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

+1, i accidently zoom out to celestial view all the time.
  9. zGeneral

zGeneral Member

+1 fully agree.
    we need a mechanism to separate both zooms from mouse scrolls.

something like hitting an on-screen button for galaxy zoom + a keyboard button for the same.
  10. fusurugi

fusurugi New Member

Yup. You could make *this* a gui button, even.
    Or make a combination so pressing ctrl while scrolling switches to the next command plane in that direction.
  11. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Same here, im moore times off planet then inside!
    Too many times loose the action game because this ,some times i find me look something in the other empty planet:)

lets wait for the update...
  12. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

That would be cool. Shift+scroll could even be to go from current view right to celestial and back again. Maybe even use it to switch planets: shift zoom to celestial -> (shift) zoom on another planet to zoom in on the last view you had on it.

Which brings me to zooming back in: it's just as annoying since it just zooms in on the north pole, so you have to find where you were before :(
  13. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

+1 for the break in scrolling. I kinda wish scrolling was a bit smoother though, but maybe that's FPS/optimization related. Also, having recently upgraded to OSX 10.8 I implore the devs to implement elastic scrolling :)
  14. glinkot

glinkot Active Member

Agreed, a break in scrolling would do the trick nicely and intuitively.
  15. purecaldari

purecaldari Member

Supporting this.
    Maybe a resistance for the mouse zoom with a sound cue before triggering the celestial view would be another approach for this issue?
  16. NatoNine

NatoNine New Member

Actually I would prefer no distinction between planetary views and the celestial view, just a continuous zoom out at a maintained camera angle (Achieving the same sort of effect as the original Kickstarter video)... But yeah, in the short term where the game is a single planet at a time anyway a pause in zooming out would be good.
  17. veta

veta Active Member

18. tekkmyster

tekkmyster New Member

Another solution could be having two separate views that the player can switched between, a primary view and one minimap like view. This would allow for the classic zooming planet system and the celestial view system to coexist. Also would allow for the ability to keep an eye on space or the planet via the mini view.

I personally am a big fan of being able to rapidly zoom to different points on the map and this does not work very well with the celestial view(usually end up looking at the sun).
  19. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

20. fusurugi

fusurugi New Member

I don't think that's gonna work, either gameplay wise or engine wise.
    But as a mini-cinematic when you are going to hurl rocks? why the bucket not!