PA on Gentoo Linux x86_64

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by born2chill, June 23, 2013.

1. born2chill

born2chill New Member

hi there,

although i've been lurking most of the time, i guess as the first linux builds have come to light it's time to step out of the shadows too. so greetings to uber and this great community!

Disclaimer
    * This guide is for the direct download version (NOT STEAM; does anybody know if the installation files are different? Otherwise it should make no difference.)
    * Gentoo Linux is not officially supported (so don't bug the devs) but PA seems to run pretty well with a little work.

That said, these are the steps i had to take to get it running. I'm using 'eix' to search and display packages - and highly recommend this nifty utility to any gentoo user - but "emerge -s" should produce similar results. ok on we go...

[guide as of build 49900]
    * obvious dependencies:

• udev
      xorg-server + libxcb
      display/graphics drivers (ATI, Nvidia, Intel,...)
      graphical environment (KDE, GNOME, E17, Xfce, *box,...)

* PA seems to depend on gconf (which probably is installed as a dependency on a gnome system) but needs to be installed otherwise. This is how it looks on my system and how to install it if necessary:
    Code:
    ~ $ eix -e gconf
    [I] gnome-base/gconf
         Installed versions:  2.32.4-r1(2)(05:47:40 PM 06/23/2013)(gtk introspection ldap policykit -debug)

~# emerge gconf

* As probably everyone knows by now, libudev needs to be linked manually, otherwise PA starts up fine but displays only a black screen:
    Code:
    ~# cd /lib64
    /lib64 # ln -s libudev.so.1 libudev.so.0

This will break in case of a major udev update but I guess it will be fixed by Uber eventually.

At this point I was good to go - fire up the PA executable, enter your credentials and behold the annihilation!

System and hardware specs (make.conf is attached if you'd like to check the use flags):

• AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T
      8GB RAM
      NVidia GTX570

x11-base/xorg-server 1.13.4
      sys-kernel/pf-sources 3.9.3-pf
      x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers 319.23
      kde-base/kdebase-meta 4.10.3

PS: I already spotted some other gentoo folks, so if I missed something or made mistakes plz post or message!

PPS: forum won't let me attach '*.conf' files, so the make.conf is uploaded as 'make.ini'. *rant*

Attached Files:

Last edited: September 21, 2013
  2. aonoa

aonoa New Member

Hello! :)

On my Gentoo Linux x86_64 system the libudev file was in /usr/lib64 and was named libudev.so.1.3.5. My system is a pretty fresh install, and I have systemd on it.

So, for me it was:

Code:
    ln -sf /usr/lib64/libudev.so.1.3.5 /usr/lib64/libudev.so.0
    Just figured I would share this little bit of info.

Thank you for sharing yours.
  3. alexanderhaensch

alexanderhaensch New Member

@aonoa: can you play the game?
    for me it is black screen with sound.
  4. aonoa

aonoa New Member

@alexanderhaensch: Yes, I can play the game. The solution to your problem should be what I posted above, if your system is similar to mine. Though, currently for me it was /usr/lib64/libudev.so instead of /usr/lib64/libudev.so.1.3.5

Sorry for the late response, I have been busy.
  5. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

yes, the black screen bug is the udev so file symlink
  6. born2chill

born2chill New Member

I fixed the instructions - linking libudev.s0.0 to libudev.so.1 (which itself is a symlink to the up-to-date lib file) should resolve the issue of constantly needing to update the symlink when udev gets updated.