You need to improve the UI dramatically

Discussion in 'Support!' started by FunkOff, July 1, 2013.

1. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Having seen many of FunkOff's postings over the years on the Gas Powered forum, his posts usually fall into one of two categories; 1) pure gold, and 2) whiney brat.

This one happened to be more of the latter.
  2. daemonicknight

daemonicknight New Member

I agree with all points funkoff made. While he may not have been as gentle as some of u may have wanted he did give very good suggestions and spoke his mind which is good isnt it?
  3. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I wish :p

daemonicknight, speaking your mind is perfectly fine. The sentiment goes both ways though; I'm allowed to speak my mind when you speak yours.
    ;)

Opinions are not sacrosanct and I hold no reverence for posts that contain hyperbolic drivel.
  4. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

It is entirely possible to speak one's mind whilst being polite and constructive. Making demands simply pisses people off, while constructively pointing out flaws and how things can be improved generally receives a better respond.
  5. halander1

halander1 Member

Dude you can just re orientate your camera hitting control and the arrow keys, i think the camera thing is great.
  6. halander1

halander1 Member

Also it does sound like you are trying to make the UI do most of the work. Just saying you sound like one of thos epeople
  7. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

FunkOff ty for the post .
    You have tutch points with very good arguments and we need that.
    I honastly agreed with all.
    But also im sure Uber notice that , Alpha got this issius and im sure in future we will have very good surprises.
  8. mylon13

mylon13 New Member

Agreed, working at support for a hosting company from time to time, (thank god not full time) being nice about what you want to happen, is 50% of making it happen. (this is speaking from experience)

I honestly have to say, my reactions to support departments have improved to being more polite, just because I am more willing to help people who are polite to me when asking for support.

People who are polite, and at times have no clue what they are talking about, (and sometimes even know this) can take hours of my time explaining them how things work, without any real effort. While people who do know what they are talking about, and being rude, get just basic support, nothing more or less, I'm getting paid to do a my job, but will not put in any effort to help them. (and if I have to choose between helping a polite customer and a rude customer first, the polite customer always goes first, even if the rude customer pays more, while my boss doesn't always agree, thats just how things work...)

So FunkOff while I whole heartily agree with you, could / would be possible to implement, (and much appreciated) will get you much further, than needs to be implement / must be done instantly. (just positive criticism, please do not feel offended in any way)
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

1: this is already a toggleable option with a single keypress.

2: strategic icons need a toggleable button press on, off, and auto like it does now.

3: hotkeyable camera positions solve this problem along with multiple windows.

4: selection will be better, along with other issues, as alpha progresses. For instance, metal and energy consumption are already suggested to show on the fabber build options and on the nanolathe shell, so you know how much it will and is costing.

I currently feel the need to kill Justin beiber, so I'm going to go play happy wheels.
  10. RCIX

RCIX Member

I'm sorry but the UI should be holding my hand. I should not be fighting buttons, icons, and a camera to issue the commands I want.
  11. ryanx1n

ryanx1n Member

I agree that the UI should do as much as possible so the game becomes about where you move your units rather than how.
    I know most of the posts were about the camera but this is all part of the mental process you need to go through to make units do what you want.

1. Collect information on state of world (uses camera)
    2. Build mental model of way things are now
    3. Build mental model of things you want to change (thing to build/move/blowup)
    4. Attempt to action mental model (uses camera and orders)
    repeat

For me the meat of the game should be in going between step 2 and 3 as this is the strategy/tactics bit, therefore 1 and 4 should be as easy as possible.
  12. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

You'd really think uber would have these all done seeing as how it's already released.
  13. ryanx1n

ryanx1n Member

I wouldn't, it is an alpha build, which is very much work in progress if not even just proof of concept at the moment. The different thing here is that you very rarely get access to games when they are still being built, you trade off early polish for the possibility of influencing the design direction. It's a trade off that is worth thinking about before you open your wallet for the alpha to avoid disappointment.

Now rather that thinking about what they should have done can we be patronising in a different way by telling them what they should do :)
  14. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

There is a option for it allredy, use it if you wish, me personally however prefear the free camera and would be realy upset if they forced pole locking on.

No, absolutely no. A option for it, sure, but as standard? No.

Whats the point in watching all those cool explosions if they are hidden by icons? Why use graphics at all? Why not just icons.

Just no, its easy enof to see a icon, zoom in and see the unit, its not hard to remeber what every icon stands for.
  15. Artamentix

Artamentix Member

Supreme Commander used to have the strategic icons of the units on their build icon and on the selection icon and tool tip, that makes it easier to learn what units have what icons. Always show can be an option, just like it was an option in SupCom.
  16. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I'd hate Always Show Icons. It makes sense if you have the bland, featureless units of SupCom. But PA's units have pretty unique outlines.
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Why not? Err... Actually, there are indeed no reasonable reasons keep the 3d models of the tanks. Icons are why more efficient!

...so yeah an option indeed seems like an easy solution to please everyone. :)
  18. FunkOff

FunkOff Member

That is a good point that I forgot to mention in the OP. The strategic icons should be on the build icon. A\
  19. syox

syox Member

So option to only play with icons and without 3d unit models? Good suggestion cola ;D
  20. FunkOff

FunkOff Member

Also, shame on everybody who replied to this thread offended with the tone without responding to the substance.