Modding Handbook?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by Raevn, July 6, 2013.

1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Before I start fleshing this out, is this something people would be interested in/find useful? It would be inteded as a read-from-start-to-finish guide for modders.

Note that this would not replace the reference posts on the forum here, which I will continue to update.

Attached Files:

2. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I think you should simply create a single post (which Uber should sticky) that references all of your reference posts. A handbook is a bit much, and would feel more like you are throwing words at people.

But that's just my opinion, I prefer to be handed raw information without elaboration or sugar coating.
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Like this? :p

While I personally find those kinds of posts useful, they are essentially pockets of information and it's hard to explain how everything fits together when it's in that format. This handbook would be intended more for those starting out or who like offline/printable reference guides.
  4. retrry

retrry Member

5. gficenec

gficenec New Member

I feel that it would be very helpful, for some of us that wish to learn and understand modding, and contribute to the community
  6. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Id love a PDF of a Modding Book for PA :)
  7. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

If you have the time Raevn, feel free.

I'll gladly write the Modeling, UV Mapping and Texturing bits if you want me to.
  8. teddythebear

teddythebear Member

Isn't there already a wiki? Just put everything there IMO.
  9. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Me too! :mrgreen:
  10. mckelio23

mckelio23 New Member

I would love to have this in PDF format for referencing on an Ipad.
    mishtakashi likes this.
  11. SinProtocol

SinProtocol New Member

If you intend to be absolutely comprehensive, a handbook is the way to go. yes you could do a list of key information, but for all the smaller details longer explanation and introduction is necessary. go for it, I'll definitely read through however many pages you can write! :D
  12. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

I think a modding handbook would be an absolutely excellent idea. However, given the fast-paced nature of modding in these early days, I suspect it may require a lot of work to maintain until things have settle down a little. Something more interactive, like a wiki, may be a useful interim/companion reference guide.

On a separate note, I may know bugger all about web development, but I'm well acquainted with LaTeX. If you need any assistance, or simply want to spread the load of writing things up, let me know, and I'll be happy to help.
    Last edited: July 8, 2013
  13. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Yes to PDF, yes to you keeping your threads maintained (superceded my initial limited attempt completely :D).

Keep up the great work man, it's appreciated.
  14. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

omg yes please! :mrgreen:
  15. thefreemon

thefreemon Member

Yes! This has to be done. It will be done!
  16. pantsburgh

pantsburgh Active Member

I'd much rather have a wiki than a pdf, if that's what you're asking. It's much easier to keep a wiki up to date, and much easier to reference in forums.

TBH, I think I'd never use a PDF. Navigating a PDF is at worst a PITA, and at best is as easy as a website... so why not just put it in a website? I see no downside to a wiki, and several to a PDF.
  17. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Wiki or pdf: I'll read either one! Or both!!
  18. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Yes.
  19. glinkot

glinkot Active Member

Yep I think a wiki would be nifty, so people can add in their bits of wisdom as time passes. A modding guide of any kind would be really excellent. I'm more a c# guy than js or modelling, but still. I'll ask Neutrino if he can reimplement all the core engine in .NET - I'm sure he'd be delighted to get straight onto it... :eek:
  20. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

This would be great, especially if is was editable (perhaps it should be a wiki, or as someone suggested, on github?)